Filling a new tank for the first time with RODI then salt ?

SupremeDej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times or if it's even a stupid question. My brain is in overdrive planning this new tank, and I might be overthinking everything.

My tank arrives tomorrow, and obviously once it's set up, I need to fill it with saltwater. The tank is a Cade 600, with a total capacity of 266 liters. The tank volume is 216 liters. Originally, I was planning on going to the LFS and buying 11 barrels of ready-mixed saltwater, which would cost me around £90-£100. Add live rock, sand, and sump equipment, and then fill it. However, since then, I have bought an RODI system that I'm installing this weekend. However, I don't have a large bin to mix 200+ liters of saltwater or the space for it. Instead of spending the £100 on ready-mixed saltwater, I would much prefer to save that money and use it to buy a large bucket of quality salt and a hydrometer.

Can I just run the RODI directly into the tank and wait for it to fill, run my return pump, powerhead, and heater, and then add the amount of salt for 266 liters based on the instructions? Let this run until it's mixed, then add the live rock, sand, and sump equipment. I'm guessing I will need to siphon some of the water out to accommodate the rock, etc.?

Another thing is, if I run the return pump immediately upon mixing in the salt, do I run the risk of salt not mixing properly in the sump area and settling. If so would i just add all the salt to the main display then once mixed hit the return pump to mix into the sump and around the system.

Thanks all

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can just fill with water and add the salt in an area of high flow. There will be some dead spots where salt settles, eventually it will dissolve. I take a spare powerhead and just dangle it by the wire and blow the piles back into areas of high flow. When you add rock and sand yes you will need to siphon out water due to displacement, if you have buckets or a brute bin you can save this and use on your first few water changes since it’s brand new saltwater. Siphon out water first, then add sand and rock, as this process will make the water super cloudy and you don’t want to save that.

OP
OP
S

SupremeDej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can just fill with water and add the salt in an area of high flow. There will be some dead spots where salt settles, eventually it will dissolve. I take a spare powerhead and just dangle it by the wire and blow the piles back into areas of high flow. When you add rock and sand yes you will need to siphon out water due to displacement, if you have buckets or a brute bin you can save this and use on your first few water changes since it’s brand new saltwater. Siphon out water first, then add sand and rock, as this process will make the water super cloudy and you don’t want to save that.
Thank you. That's a great tip; I didn't even think to save the water. Yes, I bought three 25-liter water barrels, so I will use these to store the extra water I siphon out. I'm guessing you can store saltwater in airtight containers safely for several weeks?

Also, I'm going to look for a cheap powerhead to help with the salt mixing. I'm happy now with this process; and it's saving me money.

Thanks again!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times or if it's even a stupid question. My brain is in overdrive planning this new tank, and I might be overthinking everything.

My tank arrives tomorrow, and obviously once it's set up, I need to fill it with saltwater. The tank is a Cade 600, with a total capacity of 266 liters. The tank volume is 216 liters. Originally, I was planning on going to the LFS and buying 11 barrels of ready-mixed saltwater, which would cost me around £90-£100. Add live rock, sand, and sump equipment, and then fill it. However, since then, I have bought an RODI system that I'm installing this weekend. However, I don't have a large bin to mix 200+ liters of saltwater or the space for it. Instead of spending the £100 on ready-mixed saltwater, I would much prefer to save that money and use it to buy a large bucket of quality salt and a hydrometer.

Can I just run the RODI directly into the tank and wait for it to fill, run my return pump, powerhead, and heater, and then add the amount of salt for 266 liters based on the instructions? Let this run until it's mixed, then add the live rock, sand, and sump equipment. I'm guessing I will need to siphon some of the water out to accommodate the rock, etc.?

Another thing is, if I run the return pump immediately upon mixing in the salt, do I run the risk of salt not mixing properly in the sump area and settling. If so would i just add all the salt to the main display then once mixed hit the return pump to mix into the sump and around the system.

Thanks all
Just confirming what others have said.

Just add the water, then add the appropriate amount of salt (i'd suggest maybe half to start) and then add about a kilo at a time checking salinity after each batch has dissolved. It's easy to add more but a lot more difficult to take it back out :)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and reef crystals and store saltwater for weeks with no I'll effects. Not sure if that is OK to store different brands. I feel like I've read of brands that do not store well but I can't remember which brand /brands.

On a side note I just filled a new tank last night. I used tap water and ran it to check for leaks. Sure enough I have a small leak at a plumbing fitting and I have to drain water to fix it. I'm glad I didn't fill it with salt water or even RODI first. Tank volume is around 250 gallons and while I don't like just wasting water I'd rather waste tap water than RODI or worse yet salt water. Just a suggestion

OP
OP
S

SupremeDej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean and reef crystals and store saltwater for weeks with no I'll effects. Not sure if that is OK to store different brands. I feel like I've read of brands that do not store well but I can't remember which brand /brands.

On a side note I just filled a new tank last night. I used tap water and ran it to check for leaks. Sure enough I have a small leak at a plumbing fitting and I have to drain water to fix it. I'm glad I didn't fill it with salt water or even RODI first. Tank volume is around 250 gallons and while I don't like just wasting water I'd rather waste tap water than RODI or worse yet salt water. Just a suggestion
I will be sure to check for leaks. I'm glad you mentioned that because I definitely would have just filled it with RODI from the start and not checked.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Once the tank is setup and plumbed, run a freshwater leak test. That can be done with tap water. No sense in trying to drain and save rodi water if there is a leak at a low point in the system.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled mine this way. Water then salt, removed more than enough gallons for addition of live rock afterwards. Then replaced the water afterward. (you will also know the exact volume the rock displaces) You will get a film/haze on the glass from mixing it in the tank which will go away after awhile. If you're worried about mixing dead zones, you can fill the tank with RODI to the overflow. Then mix salt with powerhead only. Then for sump, mix remaining in buckets/totes and dump in tank to overflow into sump till the desired level. then turn the pump on.

OP
OP
S

SupremeDej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled mine this way. Water then salt, removed more than enough gallons for addition of live rock afterwards. Then replaced the water afterward. (you will also know the exact volume the rock displaces) You will get a film/haze on the glass from mixing it in the tank which will go away after awhile. If you're worried about mixing dead zones, you can fill the tank with RODI to the overflow. Then mix salt with powerhead only. Then for sump, mix remaining in buckets/totes and dump in tank to overflow into sump till the desired level. then turn the pump on.
Thanks. A great idea, I think this is the approach i will take I have a large 25 litre bucket to finish the sump with

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect, ideal scenario, you would mix then add to the tank. Whether that's one big batch or several small batches.

However, if that really isn't a possibility, I would follow @BubblesandSqueak and mix with no rock in the tank. I think you could use a powerhead in the tank and use your return to save time and effort, but that's me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back