Added salt to new tank after aquascape and sand were in the tank

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA: I have a new 110g (total capacity) Waterbox, and made the mistake of adding salt after dry rock, sand and RODI water was in the tank… I didn’t want to keep waiting on water in my 44 gallon brute that weighed 9,000 lbs (felt like), then to mix it and wait each time.

Nevertheless, don’t do this.. mix the salt in your water before adding it to the new tank. This salt just hits the sand and rocks, gets the film everywhere, probably ticking off the return pump. I’ve got like 6 wavemakers in the display and sump to try and dissolve this stuff, while slinging sand and its dust everywhere. I’ve got to disturb the sand and baste the rocks to try and get the salt chunks to dissipate.

Just got back into the hobby after 4-5 years and I guess I had a brain fart. Not recommended, don’t do it.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. You could always use 5 gallon buckets to empty the 45 gallon Brute. It is lighter when you do that

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. You could always use 5 gallon buckets to empty the 45 gallon Brute. It is lighter when you do that
Yea, you’re right. I thought about draining a bunch of it back into the brute and mixing it in there, then pump back in.. in sections. I’ve put like 35-40 cups of sand and still at 1.10-1.15 salinity.. probably a lot of crystals that need to break down and/or be disturbed to dissolve.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back