LFS installed my new reef tank, but.... Salt?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I asked the LFS if I needed to be concerned about the salinity since the ATO pumped four gallons of distilled water into the sump and I was told it was not enough to make a difference on the salinity.
Considering you dont know what the salinity was and we dont know size tank, im guessing around 55 to maybe 60 gallons with sump if its the 42gallon, if salinity is at 1.025 then it could be around 1.022. Since we dont know if they even mixed properly, could be lower or higher. Plus this is a rough estimate. Tgis would be to low unless fish only. This LFS is going to hurt your tank and progress it seems. If you do hire make sure tgere is a claus that they will replace anything that happens on tgeir dime. Did you ordee a refractometer and calibration fluid yet? Also is there another lfs near by?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you paid them to setup the tank. You had to finish comnecting everything. They should have connected everything, showed you and walked you through setup and verified everything is running as well as cable management. I would double check plumbing leaks. You didnt get the install you paid for. They did not deliver on setup or finish the job. I dont know what was agreed to or how much but this place sounds horrible.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you paid them to setup the tank. You had to finish comnecting everything. They should have connected everything, showed you and walked you through setup and verified everything is running as well as cable management. I would double check plumbing leaks. You didnt get the install you paid for. They did not deliver on setup or finish the job. I dont know what was agreed to or how much but this place sounds horrible.

Well I think the young man worked hard and in good faith but yeah maybe he got exhausted and forgot a couple connections. Reefing is a whole universe of material and he answered all my questions but being new I also wasn’t sure of all the questions to ask. I wished I knew more about all the hardware I have and what would be all the best settings for the pumps, LED, wave and mat etc . I imagine in time I will understand more. Having the Reefer app makes me confident about the leak issue in fact that is what sold me on this system, that I have an app that tracks any leakage. I still need to go to the LFS and get more measuring tools, because I only have the master testing kit which measures nitrates, nitrates and ammonia. I’m sure most users are familiar with that kit. Yeah I have more testing stuff to buy but LFS told me I do not need to worry about anything for about a month except to add a small amount of ammonia and Microbacter every day. According to the app, all systems are working fine, but I wished I had an app that told me all the various water contents, salinity, minerals etc. seems like there is such a focus on the nitrogen cycle, but what about minerals, like magnesium etc etc.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id take it easy on the install guys. sometimes when your new to something, its hard to catch all that they might have told you. a person new to reefing has an overwhelming amount to digest right off the bat if they havent done much research. ok so he missed a few things getting hooked up. but it would take more than that for me to write them off.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, op, if you got a lot of gadgets and stuff going on, itll take awhile for you to get it all figured out. but stick at it and you will! if your LFS is good, they wont mind you asking questions. so keep asking ! since they sold it to you and set it up, they should be able to answer anything you throw at them:)

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is that if your offering a service to be paid that service should be completed. If it was more as a favor then I can understand and leniency would be expected. Just because someone got tired or forgot isnt an excuse if tgey are offering as a paid service. They can come back to finish or at least offer to another day. I have been burned to many times in the past of pating for something and not being delivered and just having to let it go as nothing much could be done. But definetly left reviews. This is after multiple chances to correct. If they arent bothered by you asking questions like @smitten with ocean life stated, then they should be able to get things straightened out.

There is a lot more people more knowledgable than me on things here. If in doubt you can always reach out lol. Ill be following along to see how it progresses and hopefully everything will turn out great. Excited for you.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think LFS guy, as nice as he is, incorrectly installed the reefmat. I keep getting a reefmat error #2 on my app. I searched that on the threads and found the following.
anyways, it's probably all for the best, that he missed a few things because now I will have to learn them. But yeah, I mean he was maybe overwhelmed first he he had to deliver the huge package m, all the water, tank, the cabinet. I helped him unload, but still, and then installing everything I can imagine it's a lot of work for one person doing three or four hours of. he does answer any question I threw out him and even I've
IMG_5379.png
texted him a few times, but I don't want to overwhelm the guy texting what maybe his private cell phone. But I can call the store and the answer my questions. I think he did not install the reef mat correctly I think probably the wrong way , it's not unspooling I think. But it's something that can be easily addressed. anyways, a reefmat is something that is kind of optional, right?

IMG_5377.jpeg

Last edited:

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would think it is way early for the reef mat. Sounds like you do not have true live rock but are cycling dry live rock at best. That's why your told to add bacteria and ammonia. Hopefully your master test isn't the API master test that I and every new person gets. The only API test worth anything I the ammonia test. Turn the reef mat off until you see green algae blooming. Concentrate on simple things first, keep temperature steady, test how it heats up with all pumps and lights running full on. Does it maintain heat over night or do you need another heater. Check salinity. With a refractometer that is calibrated with fluid it takes only seconds to check. Watch evaporation to see the auto top off works and you keep up with filling the reservoir with your own rodi water. Just these step can keep you busy learning in the first couple months.
Read, read and read more. Then take it all with a grain of salt. None of us do this the same. Some do things wrong and it works for them forever. Maybe most important to remember is that fish stores make money selling things. Sounds like you have a nice system there. Don't overbuy, slow down and watch nature the you for a ride.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would think it is way early for the reef mat. Sounds like you do not have true live rock but are cycling dry live rock at best. That's why your told to add bacteria and ammonia. Hopefully your master test isn't the API master test that I and every new person gets. The only API test worth anything I the ammonia test. Turn the reef mat off until you see green algae blooming. Concentrate on simple things first, keep temperature steady, test how it heats up with all pumps and lights running full on. Does it maintain heat over night or do you need another heater. Check salinity. With a refractometer that is calibrated with fluid it takes only seconds to check. Watch evaporation to see the auto top off works and you keep up with filling the reservoir with your own rodi water. Just these step can keep you busy learning in the first couple months.
Read, read and read more. Then take it all with a grain of salt. None of us do this the same. Some do things wrong and it works for them forever. Maybe most important to remember is that fish stores make money selling things. Sounds like you have a nice system there. Don't overbuy, slow down and watch nature the you for a ride.
i have true live rock. It comes from a large water tank in the LFS i don't think they are lying about it being live rock.

Also regarding the heater, it's stable at 24.2 C even though i had it set to 25C .

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have true live rock. It comes from a large water tank in the LFS i don't think they are lying about it being live rock.

Also regarding the heater, it's stable at 24.2 C even though i had it set to 25C .
If you have true live rock there should be no need to add ammonia. Live rock is already cycled....

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should post some pictures. We all like to look!
As far as the live rock, is it straight out of the ocean or cycled at the store to be live? From the ocean is best, would maybe look a bit dirty with possibly crabs, worms, feather dusters. If the rock is live I wouldn't add to much ammonia, just get a first fish and feed the fish.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have true live rock there should be no need to add ammonia. Live rock is already cycled....
I think the LFS is encouraging me to add microbacter and ammonia just to get me involved in the process. But they said I essentially really have to do nothing for the next month while the aquarium is cycling. so I went to LFS yesterday and just bought some decor so at least there's something pretty to look at.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 12

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back