Air stones in sump?

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just treated my reefer tank for cyano with chenipure and added a couple airstones as directed.

How beneficial is it to keep them running all the time? I have one in the area before the socks and another in the skinner section.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you meant chemiclean? There was a long thread on the topic of air stones in a sump. Don’t recall that there was any consensus that it was useful .... or not useful. Seems pointless to me.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt creep can become a troublesome issue and if you have any lights in the sump area the fine spray isn't good.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an air stone in that part of my refugium that has chaeto. The air moving up through the mass provides some water movement between the strands of algae.

I also fee the air pump air from outside the house. That helps with off-gassing CO2 and boosts my pH.

Salt creep can be a problem, but my refugium is completely covered with glass, so I don’t have any problem.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer is essentially a big air stone. If you have that and good movement in the DT you should be good to go.

I was just about to say this, your skimmer has that shore tide look to it in those bubbles kinda like a airstone it does oxygenate your tank, but that’s just my speculation, I have treated with chemiclean several times with skimmer cup off but yeah that salt creep goes everywhere

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you meant chemiclean? There was a long thread on the topic of air stones in a sump. Don’t recall that there was any consensus that it was useful .... or not useful. Seems pointless to me.
Yes chemiclean, my mistake

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a h80 kessil tuna flora for my chaeto in the fuge. I put the air stone in the skimmer section so it didn’t seem to spray on the kessil.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back