Akaline swing than stable

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have i problem with keep Kh stable. My tank is soft coral dominance and I have 4 fish. I ussually mix Ro and 4 tad of kalwasser into 2 gallon tank. It run normal for a while until I got few more mushrooms, acane and chalice. The Kh keep dropping 0.3-0.5 per day. Then I start to put 10 tads for 2 gallons tank with RO for top off. Kh now start bouncing and jump 0.5 each day. As the result, kh hit to 10 after few days. Then I try to clean up my 2 gallons tank and put only RO for top off. Kh now start dropping 0.5 per day which i expect to be. After 2 day kh stand still at 8.7-8.8. What happen for my tank because it suppose to drop to 8.3 insead of stay still for 2 days? Is my 2 gallons tanks still have some kallwasser left over which keep my kh constant like that. If in that case, why my kh drop 0.5 each day in 2 day then stay stable the days after?????

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drop in alkalinity is faster when the alkalinity is higher. So at 10 dKH the drop is faster than at 8 dKH.

I can't know why you see particular changes in alk, and there can be many, many explanations, from test error to corals being bothered by the recent changes in alkalinity. Could be there is still some residual additive in your ro reservoir, but if you rinsed it out and the sides look clean, that is unlikely.

So I understand, what measurement is a "tad"? Limewater can only hold so much (about 2 teaspoons per gallon), and more above that will just settle to the bottom.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drop in alkalinity is faster when the alkalinity is higher. So at 10 dKH the drop is faster than at 8 dKH.

I can't know why you see particular changes in alk, and there can be many, many explanations, from test error to corals being bothered by the recent changes in alkalinity. Could be there is still some residual additive in your ro reservoir, but if you rinsed it out and the sides look clean, that is unlikely.

So I understand, what measurement is a "tad"? Limewater can only hold so much (about 2 teaspoons per gallon), and more above that will just settle to the bottom.
Tad mean 1/4 teaspoon which i put 10 tad. I will check the alk today to see how much is dropped. Should I still let thE RO in the reservoir or try to put 8 tad and start keep track through a week??? I wAnt to keep alk consistant for my hadoni carpet in the next few day

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back