OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Yellow wrasse spent 24 hours in the sand and just came up. He hasn’t had a go at marine mix or pellets and has an empty tummy - hopefully he will grab something tonight.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t know :)

Anyhow, here’s a photo! Rock and sand are in :D

2F1C75B8-3EEC-4235-BDC3-D95A970FF684.jpeg
Wait.. wait.. so you started the cycle before the rocks and sand were in? ;Stop

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank measurements:

Temp 25.5 C
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
pH 8.0

First water change happening today, 10%

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flasher wrasse has been IDed as a yellowfin flasher wrasse. The yellow coris wrasse is being fed generously every time it comes out of the sand :) Everything being fed 3-4 times daily.

30% water change on the QT today as it’s overdue.

Also adjusted the return nozzles to fluff the water surface more to help circumvent lower pH. It’s winter so the doors and windows are closed a lot.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First hints of mischief brewing in the DT, diatoms continue to increase and a few strands of long stringy brown appeared. No mats on the sand. Cleared the rocks off and watching intently today.

Yellow wrasse keeps going to sand in the QT, making it difficult to catch him in time to give him a feed. I would be happier if he ate some more, he is a skinny homeboy.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First hints of mischief brewing in the DT, diatoms continue to increase and a few strands of long stringy brown appeared. No mats on the sand. Cleared the rocks off and watching intently today.

Yellow wrasse keeps going to sand in the QT, making it difficult to catch him in time to give him a feed. I would be happier if he ate some more, he is a skinny homeboy.

I purchased a Red Sea e-260 last week and it looks like we are about in the same place. This one was established but from moving it and adding a bit more live sand, I am getting long stringy diatoms.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Red Sea e-260 last week and it looks like we are about in the same place. This one was established but from moving it and adding a bit more live sand, I am getting long stringy diatoms.

I don’t know if diatoms are stringy, I am assuming this is dino as we don’t have established rock or algae - do you have pics of yours?

I have dialled my lights to 5 hours blues only 15% and am dosing 5ml of H2O2 in the evening.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if diatoms are stringy, I am assuming this is dino as we don’t have established rock or algae - do you have pics of yours?

I have dialled my lights to 5 hours blues only 15% and am dosing 5ml of H2O2 in the evening.
Not yet, the lights are currently off. No matter what it is, mine should go away, I hope.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Temp: 25 C
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm
Phosphate 0

Lights still on 15% blue
Skimmer turned off yesterday
Dino/algae disappearing

Dosing four scoops of SPS coral food to try to get phosphate up, which is the recommended daily rate for a moderately stocked 250

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a microscope to see which type it is? Just wondering which species of dino you have.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a microscope to see which type it is? Just wondering which species of dino you have.

I don't have a microscope, I did the H2O2 test and 'dino' is as close as I can get right now.

Speaking of which, I returned my lights to 50% of normal today, full photoperiod - no recurrence of dino today.
Unfortunately the tank is showing some cloudiness, most likely the heavy dosing of coral food...! I've turned on my skimmer as it helps aerate the tank, and the windows were open today as well.

Phosphates still show zero, will get some Flourish Phosphate tomorrow to dose. Lord knows what the nitrate is after triple dosing coral food the last few days... lol

Fish are doing ok!

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a meatier update!

The tank is now 7 weeks old and it looks like Dino was nipped in the bud.

68329436-74D4-4722-833F-040D67D1BB8F.jpeg

5434B246-67A2-4DF1-9452-A92E07A16F64.jpeg

4F4092E4-8593-400E-8575-828801B2A40F.jpeg

Everything is running in the tank again.

Temp 25.5 C
Ammonia 0.5 (just fed tank)
Nitrite 0
pH 8.0
Nitrate 30ppm
Phosphate 0

Skimmer collected a ton of fine waste overnight. We lost some sponges from the light restriction but otherwise all looks okay.

Clowns are happy and fat :)

In QT still trying to get the yellow wrasse’s weight up, made harder by him constantly going to sand. Also looks like he now has a wound on his side :( Not sure what happened?? Have not seen any ich appear.

2728DE3A-7A18-412D-B61C-BF74AD883083.jpeg

In other news still trying to secure the rest of the first batch of fish to QT for the tank. Maybe this week. Waiting on another wrasse or two and the Valentini Puffer.

My LFS has put the request out to source a Marine Betta as well but not waiting for that one to arrive.

I will also add a couple of local sandsifting gobies, they tend to not ‘broadcast’ sand up high like some.

My LFS is also going to source me a golden Midas blenny in lieu of the starry blenny as it seems they just aren’t available.

Enjoying the tank :)

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update: The yellow coris wrasse didn't make it. Found his body jammed under some rocks. Not sure what did him in, but I expect the root cause was not being in good shape in the first place. The other guy is 100% fine.

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Picked up some Flourish Phosphate on the weekend. Dino was starting to recover! Phosphate test keeps showing 0 even after so many doses of coral food. I dosed enough for 0.2ppm of phosphate 4 times over the past 2 days - still 0!

BUT

the Dino is disappearing rapidly.

Regimen:

Feed marine mix 2-3 times daily
Dose Phytoplankton every 2 days
Dose coral food twice daily
Dose phosphate twice daily 0.2ppm each time
Dose 5mm H2O2 nightly
Skimmer and filter roll on
Handful of carbon in the sump
Lights on 50%

Will check water again in a couple days.

Also my fish are in at my LFS - my Valentini plus a couple wrasses :) Pickup Friday

OP
OP
Alenya

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Dino still at bay :)

I picked up my new fish today!
The Valentini puffer
Carpenter’s flasher wrasse (the LFS keeps saying these are eightline flashers but they’re not I am pretty sure)
Exquisite wrasse

I was hoping for a leopard wrasse but nobody has them at the moment.

They are all acclimating in the QT

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 59 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back