Algae and Non-Reef Safe Wrasses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fence13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2017
Messages
245
Reaction score
234
Location
Iowa
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to how people handle algae outbreaks with their non-reef safe fish? I've got some bubble algae that keeps popping up on several rocks, then I add some emerald crabs, then my blue-headed wrasse thinks it's lunch time. Most hermit crabs also end up being lunch for the various other fish in the tank.

I'm wondering if there is a better way?
 
The doser vibrant is getting good reviews for valonia that's an easy trial run to consider
 
The doser vibrant is getting good reviews for valonia that's an easy trial run to consider

Thanks! I'll go skim their 136 page thread they have on here :)
 
How big is your tank, some people have had luck with the Desjardini sailfin tang and foxface. But like with any livestock addition, it's never a guarantee they will touch it. Did you try adding the emeralds after bedtime for the wrasse. The emeralds are mostly nocturnal after they get established in your tank anyway.
 
The doser vibrant is getting good reviews for valonia that's an easy trial run to consider
+1, many people have reported success with BA. Cured my bryopsis problem in 6 weeks.
 
How big is your tank, some people have had luck with the Desjardini sailfin tang and foxface. But like with any livestock addition, it's never a guarantee they will touch it. Did you try adding the emeralds after bedtime for the wrasse. The emeralds are mostly nocturnal after they get established in your tank anyway.

It's only a 93g cube so a foxface and sailfin would outgrow the room. I'm looking into the Vibrant stuff but I may try adding the crabs after lights out. That's a nice idea.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new