Algae around the edges: Do you need to get rid of every bit of unwanted algae in your tank?

Do you need to get rid of every bit of unwanted algae in your tank?

• Yes, there is no place for algae in my tank.

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • Maybe not, but it prompts me to take action.

Votes: 74 24.0%
  • No, if it doesn’t get out of control.

Votes: 188 61.0%
  • There are no such thing as unwanted algae, all algae are welcomed.

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae around the edges: Do you need to get rid of every bit of unwanted algae in your tank?

When a little green and a little red start showing up, it may let you know that it is the holiday season. However, if that little bit of green is green hair algae, and that little bit of red is cyano, it may not be such a festive occasion. That doesn’t mean that you need to shut down your tank or take drastic measures. Do you need to get rid of every bit of unwanted algae in your tank? We have all seen pictures of tanks that are so clean that they look almost sterile and not like a place where fish, coral, and other livestock actually live. Let us know how you respond when a bit of algae shows up in your tank.

JayBro_SideTankShot.jpeg

Photo by @Unorthodox_Reef

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, when I see a bit of algae here and there, it prompts me to start testing my parameters again. If everything is running fine, I have no algae. when things start to go off then I start seeing the unwanted stuff. Usually a couple good water changes is all that is needed to fix it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tend to think of algae as 'normal' - much like the tank you pictured - I never scraped the back of my wall. However, I did try to keep the glass clean. There was always a little algae often coralline growing on rocks - and some nuisance algae - which was mostly and easily controlled by shadows from the coral above it. The other algae I would remove would be algae that started growing on a dead piece of coral - by fragging off the dead piece. Natural control measures IMHO are by far the best - if one wants to control algae

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to create a balanced eco system. Part of that ecosystem is a little bit of algea here and there. If trying to keep everything perfectly clear of algae you are just dancing that fine line of close to Dino outbreak. I started reefing in the late 90's and early 2000's were we would put algae covered wild rocks in our tanks, buy critters to eat said algae and never even heard of Dinos. The sterile look requires way too much up keep(tweaker crap lol), it's a reef not a swimming pool. I keep the front and side glass clean then let "nature" handle the rest. I have never seen a squeaky clean reef or beach so I don't try to create that type of false enviroment. I test water weekly and make sure my macros and micros are in check and change water and dose as necessary.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high nutrient macroalgae display. Since they and the coral are taking up the nutrients, I get very little nuisance algae. I can even get a bit lazy about dealing with the unwanted varieties but those are easily dealt with when I get the initiative, ha ha!

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope, especially around the seams. I am always looking for used tanks and the amount of damage I see people do to their seams is astonishing. It's not worth the risk of a flood to get that last bit of algae.

manaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin dragnet in my reef and he likes his copepods and isopods! So I often let certain areas grow a little algae so he has a few rich feeding areas. The only time I ever get a little cyano in my tank it means my nitrates are between 3-4 so I'll dose some and raise it to 10. Cyano is gone next day.
Nope, especially around the seams. I am always looking for used tanks and the amount of damage I see people do to their seams is astonishing. It's not worth the risk of a flood to get that last bit of algae.

When a little green and a little red start showing up, it may let you know that it is the holiday season. However, if that little bit of green is green hair algae, and that little bit of red is cyano, it may not be such a festive occasion. That doesn’t mean that you need to shut down your tank or take drastic measures. Do you need to get rid of every bit of unwanted algae in your tank? We have all seen pictures of tanks that are so clean that they look almost sterile and not like a place where fish, coral, and other livestock actually live. Let us know how you respond when a bit of algae shows up in your tank.

JayBro_SideTankShot.jpeg

Photo by @Jay_Bro

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I have a mandarin dragnet in my reef and he likes his copepods and isopods! So I often let certain areas grow a little algae so he has a few rich feeding areas. The only time I ever get a tiny area of cyano in my tank it means my nitrates are between 3-4 so I'll dose some and raise it to 10. Cyano is gone next day.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next tank , I will want armored seams for sure , worth every penny

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a small tuff of gha I'll let it be, unless the cuc don't do their job and trim it down then I'll remove the rock (if its not part of the main structure) and apply some peroxide to it for a few min then pop it back into the tank.

Glass stays pretty clean and at most just shows a slight hazing. I'll leave it be for the snails and then once it looks like a smudge I'll then pull the magnet cleaner out. I use Microbactor Clean weekly and seems to keep things at bay. I have green corline growing on the side panel that I scrape off all the time. I asked the shop I deal with to scrape some from their farm and I ended up with green and not purple but now I'm seeing the pink/purple starting to grow on the rocks so I'm happy.

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave a little go on the rocks just to give the pods a little more safe space. I don’t have a fuge. I don’t scrape my glass all at once either for the pods

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back