Algae/Bacteria ID please

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it under the little microscope I have and here are a few photos.

Any help with ID and treatment would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_6038.jpeg
IMG_6034.jpeg
IMG_6033.jpeg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms to me. Check out this Reef Keeping article with some reference images.

EDIT: OK - to be clear, I was only looking at the microscopic images and that reply photo was not present. I have no idea what the heck that is.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What zoom was it under?

What are the tank parameter numbers though? Something is feeding this and without knowing the exact numbers, it’s hard to tell you how to fix it.

It looks more like a biofilm colony of rod-shaped bacteria to me, but it depends on what zoom you used

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms to me. Check out this Reef Keeping article with some reference images.

EDIT: OK - to be clear, I was only looking at the microscopic images and that reply photo was not present. I have no idea what the heck that is.
That seems to be the consensus I am getting a lot that don’t know what it is from photo that is why I am trying this kid microscope for better help.

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my tank param

i have found some images the look like it but none have taken my to a name or linked me to a page. I am still looking.
I know my tank parameters are off. Tank has been up a running for about 2.5-3 months. I did a total restart of my system.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 but I am dosing some sodium nitrite to try and keep them up to 5ish. Debating on turning off skimmer but it is pulling nasty dark skim.
Phosphate .307

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dont turn off your skimmer if its pulling stuff, I don’t see that helping unless you use a medication that requires it be turned off. Empty it frequently as its probably helping a bit.

Neo Nitro is really good for raising nitrates. I can see this disappearing once the nutrients rise and its outcompeted. I hold my vote of bacterial bloom/biofilm vs a true algae

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dont turn off your skimmer if its pulling stuff, I don’t see that helping unless you use a medication that requires it be turned off. Empty it frequently as its probably helping a bit.

Neo Nitro is really good for raising nitrates. I can see this disappearing once the nutrients rise and its outcompeted. I hold my vote of bacterial bloom/biofilm vs a true algae
I am using sodium nitrate to raise the nitrates. I dosed enough for 5 a few days ago and it is 0 again. Now that I am home for a few days in a row I can test to see rate of drop to hook up a dosing pump. My guess is I am going need about 1ml a day.

I also tossed in my 24 watt green killing machine even though it is a little undersized.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think manual removal or syphoning out what you can and adding the green killing machine is a great idea!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back