Algae/Bacteria Identification

Alaska209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I need some help Identifying what’s growing on my sand and live rock, I am new to the hobby and my tank is approximately 3 months in. I’ve tried comparing photos of various posts but it all looks the same to me .

The tank is 13.5 gal, and parameters are as followed.
IMG_0305.jpeg

Phosphates are high but I have been reducing them over the past few weeks. With a reduction in feeding and water changes which I feel the water changes have not done much IMO.

IMG_0303.png

This was my tank Thursday of last week.

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

This is what it looks like today , the only drastic change has been an upgrade in lighting which I turned down quite a bit this morning. I ordered a microscope for accurate ID, I will update the post once I receive it. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a leg of the ugly stage that often takes place within the first few months of a new system. Best way to manage is keeping nutrients in check and developing a good husbandry routine. Even though the water changes don’t appear to be doing much, you are exporting old water laden with nutrients out for the fresh stuff so it’s good to consistently keep up with them and especially in a nano. Maybe consider adding turbo snails or putting in some elbow grease and scrubbing and vacuuming the stuff out. When I saw this type of algae take hold I panicked a bit due to how fast it spread but within a month or so, after cutting back on feeding and doing slightly bigger water changes it mostly went away on its own. Before the green stuff appeared in my system, I saw the browns for a few weeks and at that point I added copepods to the tank. I didn’t see the pod population explode until after the green stuff tapered so I’d like to think they also helped to take care of it. In any case, don’t fret! Developing some maintenance habits now will help you months on down the line and your system will be nice and mature in no time

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the above commenter said, this is a normal part of the process.
I am not seeing much for algae eating clean up crew. What do you have in there now? Keep a check on your nutrients. Your nitrates look good, but yeah, the phosphates are a bit high. I would recommend doing water changes, but maybe dose some Nitrates if needed so they don't bottom out while you try to lower phosphate.

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months in my tank looked worse than that and I fought it and fought it only to learn it just happens sometimes. In my case… Dry rock ftl. Keep up the good work!

Beachbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started mine 10/27/2024. I'm new going through the same thing. Start skimming asap if you haven't yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back