Algae/bacteria id

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm trying to find out and sort the problem out. I have green slime all over the rock, sand and glass. When scraped or blown off the rock it comes off in chunks of slime. Could anyone identify what this is from pictures below and possibly give me an idea where this is coming from?

Thanks in advance

20220410_154501.jpg 20220410_154452.jpg 20220410_154438.jpg 20220410_154416.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just green cyano. I have some of the green now outcompeting red in a couple spots. Normal. Although that's a lot, I usually get a little patch in a crevice somewhere they goes away in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
reefkeeperros

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as i can tell some form of Cyano.
I dont see an powerheads anywhere on the picture.. your system could do with some more flow..

I dont see an powerheads anywhere on the picture.. your system could do with some more flow..
2x Gyre Xf350 + 4 Jecod/Jebao SLW 30 all running on 100%

OP
OP
reefkeeperros

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just green cyano. I have some of the green now outcompeting red in a couple spots. Normal. Although that's a lot, I usually get a little patch in a crevice somewhere they goes away in a couple weeks.
This has been going on for few months now.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the flow to blast on your pillar and slightly on the sand. s
As you are probably still in your start up just give it more time.

Less light can help, more flow adding beneficial bacteria from bottle or live stone in sump.

You can also buy an maxpect nano block ask your buddy who has a good running system to add the block for a couple of weeks and then tack it back in your system.

You can also sit it out or use chemicals ( wouldn't advise it since you almost have nothing in it )

OP
OP
reefkeeperros

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the flow to blast on your pillar and slightly on the sand. s
As you are probably still in your start up just give it more time.

Less light can help, more flow adding beneficial bacteria from bottle or live stone in sump.

You can also buy an maxpect nano block ask your buddy who has a good running system to add the block for a couple of weeks and then tack it back in your system.

You can also sit it out or use chemicals ( wouldn't advise it since you almost have nothing in it )
Thanks, I'll try to adjust the flow. I have 8kg of bio balls that have been in friends sump for 6 months. And I'll add some bacteria from bottle.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow has not much do to with cyano imo (if this is green cyano). The only place cyano will ever grow in my tank (hasn't in a while), was quite literally in the highest flow spot of my tank with my sps (constantly getting strong and variable flow).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back