Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this slime on my sand bed and on some of my rock. The slime sticks to the rock and sticks pieces of sand to it. I can’t suck it out with a siphon the sand that sticks to it weighs it down. I have to manual remove the slime and the sand that is attacked to it as well.

IMG_9382.jpeg IMG_9380.jpeg IMG_9377.jpeg IMG_9374.jpeg IMG_9373.jpeg IMG_9370.jpeg IMG_9368.jpeg IMG_9379.jpeg IMG_9376.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have this slime on my sand bed and on some of my rock. The slime sticks to the rock and sticks pieces of sand to it. I can’t suck it out with a siphon the sand that sticks to it weighs it down. I have to manual remove the slime and the sand that is attacked to it as well.

IMG_9382.jpeg IMG_9380.jpeg IMG_9377.jpeg IMG_9374.jpeg IMG_9373.jpeg IMG_9370.jpeg IMG_9368.jpeg IMG_9379.jpeg IMG_9376.jpeg
Agree on Cyano. While this is a mild case, cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development which may be the case with this tank

Should this become worse, I recommend to reducing white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on Cyano. While this is a mild case, cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development which may be the case with this tank

Should this become worse, I recommend to reducing white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

I bought some chaeto the other day and I found some white hard dots almost like sand on it and it’s hard to take it off. It also had some purple/brown hard pigment on it like if it were coralline algae. Is this a type of bacteria or pests? Have you guys encountered it before?

Attachments

• IMG_9506.jpeg
    IMG_9506.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9507.jpeg
    IMG_9507.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9508.jpeg
    IMG_9508.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9509.jpeg
    IMG_9509.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 10

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought some chaeto the other day and I found some white hard dots almost like sand on it and it’s hard to take it off. It also had some purple/brown hard pigment on it like if it were coralline algae. Is this a type of bacteria or pests? Have you guys encountered it before?
Hard to see in the pics but may be spirobid worms which feed on algae

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see in the pics but may be spirobid worms which feed on algae
I’ve added algae barn galaxy pods recently to the tank, as well as dosing phytoplankton to the tank and everytime I add phytoplankton I see these orange brown spots appear around the tank it’ll usually go away but one spot of the tank near the wave make it’ll stay even after the rest of the tank clears up. Would you happen to know what that orange stuff is?

Attachments

• IMG_9581.jpeg
    IMG_9581.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9580.jpeg
    IMG_9580.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9583.png
    IMG_9583.png
    706.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9584.png
    IMG_9584.png
    745.3 KB · Views: 11

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve added algae barn galaxy pods recently to the tank, as well as dosing phytoplankton to the tank and everytime I add phytoplankton I see these orange brown spots appear around the tank it’ll usually go away but one spot of the tank near the wave make it’ll stay even after the rest of the tank clears up. Would you happen to know what that orange stuff is?
Looks like diatoms and easily wiped away with a sponge. The top will have it only as it faces the light

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms and easily wiped away with a sponge. The top will have it only as it faces the light
I recently purchased a long tentacle anemone and this stringy stuff is attached the anemones foot. Do you know what this could be?

Attachments

• IMG_9702.jpeg
    IMG_9702.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9701.jpeg
    IMG_9701.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 3

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently purchased a long tentacle anemone and this stringy stuff is attached the anemones foot. Do you know what this could be?
Looks like expelled food or zooxanthellae which results from over feeding or too much light. Also high phosphate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back