Algae bloom during cycle

Rdela568

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting an algae bloom while cycling my 20 gallon tank but all of my levels are good. My ammonia is 0, my nitrates and nitrites are also 0, what can I do about it?

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting an algae bloom while cycling my 20 gallon tank but all of my levels are good. My ammonia is 0, my nitrates and nitrites are also 0, what can I do about it?
How long has your cycle been running and how did you start it off?

Got any photos of the algae? Could just be diatoms which typically comes after the cycle.

OP
OP
R

Rdela568

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your cycle been running and how did you start it off?

Got any photos of the algae? Could just be diatoms which typically comes after the cycle.

It’s not diatoms it’s hair algae and it’s been cycling for 4 weeks

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not diatoms it’s hair algae and it’s been cycling for 4 weeks
Algae after a cycle, even hair algae, is normal. Your test results suggest the cycle is complete and the algae is consuming the nitrates resulting from it.

Do your tests throughout your cycle support this? I.e. have you seen ammonia and nitrite sequentially rise and fall? How are you cycling the tank? How did you seed the ammonia, any live rock or bacteria added?

Just want to get some confidence your cycle is complete.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Somewhat normal. What is your light schedule (hours of light per day) and by any chance is your tank at or near a window?

If you haven’t already done so, time to introduce a clean up crew including turbo snails and nassarius snails

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae after a cycle, even hair algae, is normal. Your test results suggest the cycle is complete and the algae is consuming the nitrates resulting from it.
Do your tests throughout your cycle support this? I.e. have you seen ammonia and nitrite sequentially rise and fall? How are you cycling the tank? How did you seed the ammonia, any live rock or bacteria added?
Just want to get some confidence your cycle is complete.
+1 to this.
We want to be sure the food your algae is eating to grow, (nitrates and phosphates) is from your cycle and not from the water you put in the tank.
You can do 3 things. Turn off the lights. The algae needs light to grow. Pull it out by hand. If your tank has cycled you can add some snails. Be sure to find ones that like to live on the surfaces the algae is growing on.
I would avoid adding any chemicals to get rid of algae. They will alter your tanks normal growth cycle and you may never have all the many strains of life you need to have a problem free tank.
It is normal to have 6 months to 1 year of "ugly" stages as some call them. I like the different stages. These are normal and most will go away if you keep a good maintenance routine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back