Algae Bloom

benboarder90

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2019
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going through a water born algae bloom. First time in 16 years of reefing.
I set up a 75 gallon tank ( my biggest tank yet) 4 months ago.
I was trying to do a different style of tank with a smaller rock profile and no sump at first but realized it wasn’t going to work for me. Now I’ve added a sump and I’m getting more rock. I currently have 45 lbs and getting 20 to 30 lbs more.

Equipment
BRS 75 GPD RODI system
2 35 gallon bins. One ro and salt mix.
2 AI prime16HDs
EHime 300 watt heater
2 your choice w25 pumps
Circ 550 return pump.
Bubble magus curve 5 (arriving Tuesday)
10 gallon custom sump. Couldn’t get a bigger tank under neath the stand

Live stock
2 clown fish
2 blue green cromis
Valentine puffer
Blue damsel


I have cut my lights down to 20% and only 5 hours instead of 9. My phosphate is currently at 1.8 to 2.0 range. I’m doing 20 to 30 gallon water changes weekly currently to get my phosphate down as I’m trying to get some macro algae for my sump. Dose anyone have suggestions as how to control the green water algae bloom
Thank you to everyone
 
So I am going through a water born algae bloom. First time in 16 years of reefing.
I set up a 75 gallon tank ( my biggest tank yet) 4 months ago.
I was trying to do a different style of tank with a smaller rock profile and no sump at first but realized it wasn’t going to work for me. Now I’ve added a sump and I’m getting more rock. I currently have 45 lbs and getting 20 to 30 lbs more.

Equipment
BRS 75 GPD RODI system
2 35 gallon bins. One ro and salt mix.
2 AI prime16HDs
EHime 300 watt heater
2 your choice w25 pumps
Circ 550 return pump.
Bubble magus curve 5 (arriving Tuesday)
10 gallon custom sump. Couldn’t get a bigger tank under neath the stand

Live stock
2 clown fish
2 blue green cromis
Valentine puffer
Blue damsel


I have cut my lights down to 20% and only 5 hours instead of 9. My phosphate is currently at 1.8 to 2.0 range. I’m doing 20 to 30 gallon water changes weekly currently to get my phosphate down as I’m trying to get some macro algae for my sump. Dose anyone have suggestions as how to control the green water algae bloom
Thank you to everyone
Maybe just shut off the light. Watch for fish having difficulty breathing as phytoplankton die-off.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new