Algae bloom?

BryznNguyen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone in my temporary 40g breeder I ran into an algae bloom basically overnight. The water is super green and cloudy has anyone dealt with this? How long does it take to pass Im trying to do a blackout but ambient light for like my windows past the blinds are still feeding into it. One reason why i suspect its an algae bloom and not bacteria is because this morning the tank seemed to clear up a bit but it just got worst as the day went on heres a quick picture thanks for reading. I am running a few packets of chemipure blue in the back of a HOB filter, budget is tight and dont have the option to install a UV onto this tank

aaa.jpg

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since UV isn't and option I would do a black out and close the blinds. Direct sunlight will heat the tank up and increase algea growth. You REALLY need to either move the tank or get some black out blinds any way you can get the sun off the tank.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple good water changes, and a blast clean would likely solve this.

Im a big fan of the green killing machine from amazon as long as its only in use temporarily. (Heard that unit pollutes if left in long term)

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What organisms do you have in the tank?

OP
OP
BryznNguyen

BryznNguyen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone thanks for the reply’s I basically transfered my live rocks from my tank before shutting it down but also added some dead rock I got from purchasing a bigger tank I tried my best to clean it with water and letting it dry out but had a lot of die off the first like 2 days which caused a bacteria bloom and that went away. Once the water was cleared up I added 3 of my clownfish, a wrasse, and a yellow assessor basslet, and my new green mandarin everything was doing good until one morning I woke up to diatoms which is normal and good but then the algae bloom just hit out of no where. I lost one of my clownfish last night and her partner isn’t looking to well at the time. All my other fish seem perfectly fine and corals

OP
OP
BryznNguyen

BryznNguyen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple good water changes, and a blast clean would likely solve this.

Im a big fan of the green killing machine from amazon as long as its only in use temporarily. (Heard that unit pollutes if left in long term)
I will look into it along with doing a temporary blackout thanks for the reply

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back