Diatom bloom? Or just a Algae bloom? New tank

NoobishReefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a new tank its been up for about 1 month and I am wondering if this is a diatom bloom? and if I can get this water a little less yellow as the water is SUPER yellow.

Params:
Salinity: 1.024
Nitrates: 15ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm (I am assuming my Phosphates are being consumed by the diatoms as Phosphates were measuring 0.5 a week ago)

IMG_5125.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an algae or bacteria bloom. I see no surface ripple at all in that tank. You need flow
Better run an airstone because bloom deplete 02 especially overnight.

OP
OP
NoobishReefer22

NoobishReefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an algae or bacteria bloom. I see no surface ripple at all in that tank. You need flow
Better run an airstone because bloom deplete 02 especially overnight.

Sorry all the pumps were off when I took the picture. Don’t know why I thought taking off the pumps and wave makers would make for a better pic lol. But I am running 2 return pumps that came with the SR80 and 2 Jebao wavemakers. I have also been using RODI water a 4 stage system.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blooms are not uncommon in new tanks. Weekly water changes. Run carbon, lights are off if no corals in the tank. Airstone is suggested until bloom disapates.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a new tank its been up for about 1 month and I am wondering if this is a diatom bloom? and if I can get this water a little less yellow as the water is SUPER yellow.

Params:
Phosphate: 0ppm (I am assuming my Phosphates are being consumed by the diatoms as Phosphates were measuring 0.5 a week ago)

IMG_5125.jpg
Without isolating the organisms in the water, best to call what you have a microorganism bloom. One problem with such a bloom is oxygen depletion. If it is an algae bloom, this will be more likely after the lights are out when the algae start to use rather than produce oxygen.

OP
OP
NoobishReefer22

NoobishReefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thank you! I did turn my lights ON maybe a little too early haha I turned it on 3 weeks in.

OP
OP
NoobishReefer22

NoobishReefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I think I left some crucial info out here but I have been dosing live Phytoplankton for the pods that I have added in my tank. Which makes me believe this may be a phyto bloom? The color in the tank now is very green.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Params:

IMG_5125.jpg
The yellow will go away with the use of activated carbon. Do you currently use any? As for the algae bloom, do you have a UV sterilizer? They will remove algae from the water column.

OP
OP
NoobishReefer22

NoobishReefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow will go away with the use of activated carbon. Do you currently use any? As for the algae bloom, do you have a UV sterilizer? They will remove algae from the water column.

I have been using Carbon I would say the yellow is kind of gone and it's mostly just green now. I've been changing the Carbon out every week but maybe I should change it out more often as it's probably being exhausted quickly.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back