Algae.: But why?

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit perplexed. I assume this is a start of GHA? I have solid CUC and my parameters appear fine. Ideas?

5 - Astraea Snails
5 - Nassarius Snails
2 - Peppermint Shrimp
2 - Emerald Crab
2 - Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
1 - Fire Shrimp
1 - Halloween Hermit Crab
1 - Blue Legged Crab
2 - Strawberry Conch
1 - Bumble Bee Snail (Hitchhiker

Alkalinity (dKH) = 8.6
Ammonia (NH3) = 0.07
Calcium (Ca2) = 555
Magnesium (Mg2) = 1535
Nitrate (N03) = 6.8
Nitrite (N02) = 0.018
pH = 7.7
Phosphate (P04) = 0.06
Salinity = 1.025 IMG_5692.jpeg

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can grow coral, you can grow algae. It's one of the simplest growing organisms on the planet. No amount of nutrient limitations or "balance" will stop it. Big tanks have tangs, that's why they never see it. Small tanks need large Cuc, utility nano fish like a court jester goby, and manual removal. If you want to go the chemical route, Flux RX is often recommended, but I haven't seen any benefit after dosing it at 3x for several weeks in my FW tank for GHA.

Edit: Also out of your Cuc, only the astraea snails are gha eaters. Consider adding some large turbos and an urchin.

OP
OP
tuscani

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sounds like I need more CUC then I already have.. Was thinking or trying an Urchin anyway :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember those 22 creatures you have living in there also contribute to nutrients in the tank even if you are calling them a CUC. Algae will live in any tank especially a new tank and it is perfectly normal and healthy.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could need a hundred, or more, snails. The balance is different for every tank.

Don't ever get sucked into the narrative that waste products like no3 and po4 lead to algae, or can limit algae. Algae can thrive with undetectable levels of no3 and po4 since they can get nitrogen and phosphorous from other sources that you cannot test for. If you try and biologically limit algae by cutting back on nitrogen and phosphorous, you will harm corals too. Consumers are most of what keeps algae at bay. Having other things populate the surfaces also helps a lot too - coralline, film bacteria and algae, etc.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back