Algae Consumers for FOWLR 150 System with Existing Aggressive Residents

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok R2R.

I have existing FOWLR that has been up for a few years. I need some new algae fighters with color. It is a 6ft tank 125g with 25g sump. We might try moving some softies into this tank in the future from our other tanks.

Current Residents: 1 of each
Harlequin Tusk
Formosa Wrasse
Snowflake eel
Zebra eel
Jeweled eel
Red Tail Triggerfish aka Sargassum
Niger Triggerfish
Tomato Clown
Sea Serpent

I would prefer to keep the cost per fish under $100. These will be the last fish added (unless we lose any)

Was thinking of 2 larger yellow tangs or 1 yellow and 1 powder blue and a rabbit fish but concerned with aggression between the triggerfish and these. Anyone have experiences with this combo or have a better suggestion.

Thank you in advance.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface would be my recommendation. It generally does okay with more aggressive tankmates due to their venomous spines. Tangs are more assertive and have their surgeon scalpels to back them up but they might have some attitude issues as well. Foxface generally just use their venomous spines for defense and prefer to just hang out and around with the other fish without bothering much. Just try and get a Foxface that is a bit bigger in size (ie get a medium sized one rather than small) and it should be okay.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back