300 gal predator stocking

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king

I've read through several of your posts and would love your thoughts (and others) on this proposed stocking list. 96x24x31 (~309 gal)

3xBig Eye Black Bar Squirrelfish
Gold Spotted Rabbitfish
Flame Hawk
2xMaroon Clowns
Fu Manchu
Fuzzy Dwarf
Snowflake or Zebra Moray Eel
Harlequin Tusk
Green Bird Wrasse
Red Coris Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang
Desjardini Tang
Blueface Angel
Sargassum Trigger
Niger Trigger

Focus is on the lions, so see any issues with them getting picked on by anything here? Is there a better eel choice for instance? Will the PBT be too aggressive? Thought about a Racoon Butterfly too, but thought he may be too timid. Appreciate any thoughts from anyone in advance. I currently have 3 other tanks up and running, but first venture with Lions. Certainly open to swapping in less challenging versions as well. If you had a 309 gal predator focused on Lion Fish, what would your stocking list be?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat similar stock and so far it’s working. The issue I see is that the wrasse and triggers may outcompete the lions. It could still work if your lions learn how to get to the food first or you isolate them for feeding. My lion would sit by the feeding port and just eat everything I added but I know the Fu is a more fussy lion.

I find butterflies have an unwarranted reputation for being cowards. I’m guessing that it is because most only keep a CBB. In the wild butterflies compete quite ably in reefs so I would not be afraid to add one.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for what I would stock if I had a 300gal Fowler
  • Coris gaimard - red coris wrasse
  • Cheilinus fasciatus - red breasted Māori wrasse
  • Thalassoma lutescens - banana wrasse
  • Novaculilichthys taeniourius - dragon wrasse
  • Gymnothorax meleagris - white mouthed moray
  • Gymnomuraena zebra - zebra moray
  • Melichthys niger - black triggerfish
  • Acantharus achilles - achilles tang
  • Zebrasoma velifer - sail fin tang
  • Chaetodon ornatissimus - ornate butterfly
  • Chaetodon ephippium - saddle butterfly
  • Pygoplites diacanthus - regal angel
  • Holacanthus ciliaris - queen angel
Whoops
Looks like I overstocked again…

OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat similar stock and so far it’s working. The issue I see is that the wrasse and triggers may outcompete the lions. It could still work if your lions learn how to get to the food first or you isolate them for feeding. My lion would sit by the feeding port and just eat everything I added but I know the Fu is a more fussy lion.

I find butterflies have an unwarranted reputation for being cowards. I’m guessing that it is because most only keep a CBB. In the wild butterflies compete quite ably in reefs so I would not be afraid to add one.
Had a similar issue in my last FOWLR. Had a Snowflake and False Zebra Eel and I had to feed the Tangs on the opposite side of the tank and then spot feed the eels. A bit of a pain, but the eels only needed to be fed a couple times a week. Hmmmm...thanks for the insights.

OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had a Vagabond in my last FOWLR who was stocked first. My Tang Gang (Hippo, Duss, Naso and Purple) took him out. Has made me a bit skittish on Butterflies.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Vagabond in my last FOWLR who was stocked first. My Tang Gang (Hippo, Duss, Naso and Purple) took him out. Has made me a bit skittish on Butterflies.
Yeah
Tang gangs can knock out even the toughest fish. It’s one of many reasons I don’t keep tangs actually. (Though the main reason is that tangs in the wild seem to get a lot bigger and fatter then ones kept in captivity.)

My pearlscale though is a menace and not scared of anything. Loves to kill my snails unfortunately.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sounds good with just a couple of considerations. I'm not sure if you are going to run a qt, I always recommend an observation tank for eels and lions. One because these species can be difficult to initially feed, the eels you have chosen not so much, but a tank your size is still highly recommended. Also, these species often come in with internal parasites, and may need to be treated. It is still wise to get any eel eating dead food on a routine before introducing them into a display, The lions are an absolute must, if you put these 2 lions in a large display without accessing their health, and establishing a feeding routine, your chances of success will be slim. I'm sure you understand target feeding the eels, the lions would also have to target fed, in a large community tank this can be challenging. The fu manchu is especially challenging to feed, and for the most part, without the inclusion of live foods, don't live that long in captivity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sounds good with just a couple of considerations. I'm not sure if you are going to run a qt, I always recommend an observation tank for eels and lions. One because these species can be difficult to initially feed, the eels you have chosen not so much, but a tank your size is still highly recommended. Also, these species often come in with internal parasites, and may need to be treated. It is still wise to get any eel eating dead food on a routine before introducing them into a display, The lions are an absolute must, if you put these 2 lions in a large display without accessing their health, and establishing a feeding routine, your chances of success will be slim. I'm sure you understand target feeding the eels, the lions would also have to target fed, in a large community tank this can be challenging. The fu manchu is especially challenging to feed, and for the most part, without the inclusion of live foods, don't live that long in captivity.
Thanks, and yes I either quarantine myself or have quarantined (Dr. Reef, Marine Collectors, etc.) everything that goes into any of my tanks (including coral and CUC). Any lion you'd recommend in lieu of the Fu?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I read your post more completely, I'd like to add. Those are 2 great eels for a community tank. The racoon butterfly is a tough fish and the best butterfly fish to include. In a tank that size personally, I would do volitan lions, easier to feed and over time really not high maintenance at all. Any medium and dwarf species in a large community tank is very challenging and high maintenance to maintain a healthy diet and feeding routine for the long term.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought, I do have some concerns over the size and sedentary lifestyle of the hawkfish. This is how eels, even mild pebbletooth eels, will eat fish. Zebra eels usually come in pretty large from the onset, but they are known really to not eat fish. A larger snowflake may be more of a risk with smaller, sedentary fish.

OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I read your post more completely, I'd like to add. Those are 2 great eels for a community tank. The racoon butterfly is a tough fish and the best butterfly fish to include. In a tank that size personally, I would do volitan lions, easier to feed and over time really not high maintenance at all. Any medium and dwarf species in a large community tank is very challenging and high maintenance to maintain a healthy diet and feeding routine for the long term.
Appreciate the suggestions. Actually started with a Volitans, so good to hear that may be the better option in the larger tank. Much thanks!

OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought, I do have some concerns over the size and sedentary lifestyle of the hawkfish. This is how eels, even mild pebbletooth eels, will eat fish. Zebra eels usually come in pretty large from the onset, but they are known really to not eat fish. A larger snowflake may be more of a risk with smaller, sedentary fish.
Took both dwarf lions, the Maroon Clowns and the Flame Hawk off the list when I added the Volitans and Raccoon. Had the same thought. Going with the Zebra in lieu of the Snowflake too. I can put a Snowflake in a lot of tanks. An eight foot tank deserves a Zebra. (And yes, I know I could do both..lol)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that squirrelfish can be incredibly boring. And I support getting rid of the maroons as they bite my other fish for no good reason. People who know me are bored of this suggestion I know but dragon wrasse are probably the most entertaining fish I’ve ever had. Since you already are considering the coris you might as well consider a dragon. It’s like a wrasse, a blenny, and a dog combined.

For beauty and a variation on a lionfish maybe consider a robin like this one:
IMG_4113.jpeg

OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that squirrelfish can be incredibly boring. And I support getting rid of the maroons as they bite my other fish for no good reason. People who know me are bored of this suggestion I know but dragon wrasse are probably the most entertaining fish I’ve ever had. Since you already are considering the coris you might as well consider a dragon. It’s like a wrasse, a blenny, and a dog combined.

For beauty and a variation on a lionfish maybe consider a robin like this one:
IMG_4113.jpeg
Had a Dragon on the list. I'm actually concerned more of it with the Harlequin than the other two Wrasse. It's been on and off a few times. They're a handful ...complete wusses when juvenile, but rough and tumble later

OP
OP
david@wegetkraken

david@wegetkraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Dragon on the list. I'm actually concerned more of it with the Harlequin than the other two Wrasse. It's been on and off a few times. They're a handful ...complete wusses when juvenile, but rough and tumble later
He's still a maybe though...know I'm pushing the envelope with 4 wrasse though. Also have had a Miniatus Grouper on and off as well. Now that I've removed some of the smaller guys I may reconsider him too.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still a maybe though...know I'm pushing the envelope with 4 wrasse though. Also have had a Miniatus Grouper on and off as well. Now that I've removed some of the smaller guys I may reconsider him too.
So long as you don’t mix genera wrasse are usually fine. A grouper would also be cool but I have no idea about their compatibility.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HT's usually do not play well with other wrasses.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI...dug in a little more and the Blueface isn't a good Lion (or Grouper or shark) choice either. They pick on slow moving fish. Will probably swap for an Emperor.

I've kept blueface angels with volitans with no issues, as well as emporers. Emporers, with the exception of the queen, could be considered the most aggressive angel, usually even becoming the king of the tank with aggressive triggers. I can't speak to sharks, and as far as groupers go, can be considered skittish in aggressive tanks.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king

I've read through several of your posts and would love your thoughts (and others) on this proposed stocking list. 96x24x31 (~309 gal)

3xBig Eye Black Bar Squirrelfish
Gold Spotted Rabbitfish
Flame Hawk
2xMaroon Clowns
Fu Manchu
Fuzzy Dwarf
Snowflake or Zebra Moray Eel
Harlequin Tusk
Green Bird Wrasse
Red Coris Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang
Desjardini Tang
Blueface Angel
Sargassum Trigger
Niger Trigger

Focus is on the lions, so see any issues with them getting picked on by anything here? Is there a better eel choice for instance? Will the PBT be too aggressive? Thought about a Racoon Butterfly too, but thought he may be too timid. Appreciate any thoughts from anyone in advance. I currently have 3 other tanks up and running, but first venture with Lions. Certainly open to swapping in less challenging versions as well. If you had a 309 gal predator focused on Lion Fish, what would your stocking list be?
Ive got a snowflake; jeweled eel, dearf fuzzy lion, volitian lion, huma huma trigger, harlequin tusk in with other fish no issues. My fuzzy runs the tank like a boss. Nothing picks at her or the volitan

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpeg
    IMG_3052.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2924.jpeg
    IMG_2924.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2889.png
    IMG_2889.png
    821.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2855.jpeg
    IMG_2855.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2675.jpeg
    IMG_2675.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back