Algae / coral ID??

gavinz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Messages
275
Reaction score
193
Location
san diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize about the bad quality photos but this is as good as I could get with where it’s located sadly but can anyone tell me what this is? I saw it starting to grow about 2 weeks ago and I’m new to the hobby so I’m not entirely sure if it’s aiptaisa or if it’s another coral growing on that rock as well. I got that branching rock from my LFS that had those zoas and Kenya tree already growing on it and saw that guy in the back just recently and it seems to be growing pretty quick. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

D234E0DA-9CF2-4CB7-8BEC-ABEB80CFE064.jpeg 2BF33205-B5CF-489D-B789-E09B8DF74786.jpeg D5CB8BB5-8713-44C3-9E38-0BAEE71A28B1.jpeg
 
A pest anemone, commonly known as Aiptasia.
You should kill it. They grow fast and spread like wildfire, stinging corals to close.
If there's one theirs more than likely more.

Hope this helps. :)
 
A pest anemone, commonly known as Aiptasia.
You should kill it. They grow fast and spread like wildfire, stinging corals to close.
If there's one theirs more than likely more.

Hope this helps.
A pest anemone, commonly known as Aiptasia.
You should kill it. They grow fast and spread like wildfire, stinging corals to close.
If there's one theirs more than likely more.

Hope this helps. :)
That makes sense considering my Kenya tree is closed up, I just thought that it was because of it shedding that film because my other one did that before getting bigger a few days ago. what’s the best way to get rid of it? Especially with it kind of being in a weird area.
 
There are many ways to remove them, from chemicals, DIY solutions, and even predators. Just to shorten this up you could try super glue (Cyanoacrylate) and completely cover it up with the glue. Just know this doesn't always work, but if you could cover it up and not the other corals it would be the easiest way.

Best of luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new