Algae / coral ID??

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize about the bad quality photos but this is as good as I could get with where it’s located sadly but can anyone tell me what this is? I saw it starting to grow about 2 weeks ago and I’m new to the hobby so I’m not entirely sure if it’s aiptaisa or if it’s another coral growing on that rock as well. I got that branching rock from my LFS that had those zoas and Kenya tree already growing on it and saw that guy in the back just recently and it seems to be growing pretty quick. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

D234E0DA-9CF2-4CB7-8BEC-ABEB80CFE064.jpeg 2BF33205-B5CF-489D-B789-E09B8DF74786.jpeg D5CB8BB5-8713-44C3-9E38-0BAEE71A28B1.jpeg

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pest anemone, commonly known as Aiptasia.
You should kill it. They grow fast and spread like wildfire, stinging corals to close.
If there's one theirs more than likely more.

Hope this helps. :)

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should kill it. They grow fast and spread like wildfire, stinging corals to close.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps. :)
That makes sense considering my Kenya tree is closed up, I just thought that it was because of it shedding that film because my other one did that before getting bigger a few days ago. what’s the best way to get rid of it? Especially with it kind of being in a weird area.

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways to remove them, from chemicals, DIY solutions, and even predators. Just to shorten this up you could try super glue (Cyanoacrylate) and completely cover it up with the glue. Just know this doesn't always work, but if you could cover it up and not the other corals it would be the easiest way.

Best of luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back