Algae? Cyano? Dino? After Fluconozole treatment for byropsis.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I recently treated my Red Sea Reefer 525XL for Bryopsis with Fluconozole. The treatment removed all traces of Bryopsis. After the Bryopsis treatment, I also had some Bubble Algae and used Vibrant which eliminated the Bubble algae. I use an Algae Turf scrubber and skimmer for maintaining my nutrients. During the Bryopsis treatment I removed the turf scrubber and my nutrients slowly crept up to 15ppm Nitrate and .10 phosphate. After the treatment I preformed my water change and re introduced the scrubber. Over the next several weeks my nutrients dropped to 2ppm Nitrate and .03 phosphate which is normal with the ATS. Over the last several days I've developed a brownish, greenish algae only on my sandbed. It does not look like Diatoms, or red cyanobacteria. I should mention about a year ago I fought a 5 month battle with Dino but this looks different than the strain of Dino I had. I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here and hoping someone will know by looking at the pictures. I should also mention if I hit it with a turkey baster, siphon or stir it goes away and don't see much in the water column and it returns within a few hours. Also seems to be lighter in the morning before lights come on. I also included a picture of what my sandbed normally looks like. Crystal White!! Coral and livestock is doing well and does not seem affected. Thanks in advance for suggestions or help.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it seems like the way, that diatoms act.

But, that's just my opinion off first reading.

You have a beautiful reef.

@saltyfilmfolks
Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it seems like the way, that diatoms act.

But, that's just my opinion off first reading.

You have a beautiful reef.

@saltyfilmfolks
Any thoughts?
Thank you GoVols. Hopefully just diatoms. Came out of nowhere. Only change to the tank was putting the ATS online. I did use the Flucon and Vibrant for the bryopsis and bubble algae, so I'm guessing I threw something off.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you GoVols. Hopefully just diatoms. Came out of nowhere. Only change to the tank was putting the ATS online. I did use the Flucon and Vibrant for the bryopsis and bubble algae, so I'm guessing I threw something off.
Do you want me to call the "squad" in here, to take a look?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve used vibrant then I’ve heard that a cyno out break after use is common , I can vouch for it too .i had a cyno / spirulina out break after using it , too tell the difference between cyno / spirulina there is an easy test ....apart from looking under the microscope... take a sample of the algea and add peroxide to it .. if the water turns red and it disintegrats it’s cyno .. if not it’s spirulina.. but the treatment is the same Boyd’s chemiclean ... that’s my experience
You have a beautiful reef by the way !!

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve used vibrant then I’ve heard that a cyno out break after use is common , I can vouch for it too .i had a cyno / spirulina out break after using it , too tell the difference between cyno / spirulina there is an easy test ....apart from looking under the microscope... take a sample of the algea and add peroxide to it .. if the water turns red and it disintegrats it’s cyno .. if not it’s spirulina.. but the treatment is the same Boyd’s chemiclean ... that’s my experience
I've noticed several people reporting Cyano on the large Vibrant thread. I'll do the peroxide test. I have a 12 dollar microscope from the dino days LOL. I'll research what to look for. Appreciate the feedback and Thank you for your kind words.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

With fluconazole ya get some cyano and such from the dead algae. Takes a bout a month to get over ime.

Vibrant has an organic carbon source and will feed the cyanos , pretty common.

A healthy tank will usually rebound pretty quickly with real effort on your part besides the basic maint.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

With fluconazole ya get some cyano and such from the dead algae. Takes a bout a month to get over ime.

Vibrant has an organic carbon source and will feed the cyanos , pretty common.

A healthy tank will usually rebound pretty quickly with real effort on your part besides the basic maint.
Appreciate the response. It's all making sense now. Hopefully a quick rebound. I'll keep everyone posted.

Blanch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happen to me, used fluconazol for eliminating briopsis. And now i have 3 focus of green cyano. Looking for the best way to battle them.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about a month and a half and I'm still Fighting this weird algae,bacteria?? ZERO affect on coral. Been siphoning weekly through filter sock. Nitrates 7ppm phos .05. got a better picture. Any thoughts anyone???

3bc1d3e53dc398b3aa039a611224981b.jpg
011b4c87f73bdc2e3c85bba8497bf371.jpg

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I treated the tank for 72 hours with CyanoRx and it appears to have worked. Haven't seen the algae/bacteria in a couple of days.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back