After chemiclean Dino or more cyano

JsLevine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what appeared to be cyano on my sand bed and after a few months of undetectable, nitrates and siphoning out cyano every week I decided to try Chemi clean. It appeared to work very well and then two days later an outbreak of what I think are Dinos appeared.

I did a nitrate test and went from 0 nitrate to 23 ppm over night I would assume this is the die off of the cyano and me not exporting it when it died off. I turned my schedule up on my refugium and now see nitrates at 17.5.

My question is did I beat the cyano and now I have something else or did I just let the cyano bounce back because I did not get rid of the nutrients left behind.

The tank is 6 months old it was put together from a small tank that made it to 4 months before I decided I wanted to go slightly bigger and basically restarted the ugly stage. In other words this is my first year of reefing

I have a refugium that is doing well and a slightly oversized skimmer and a 25w uv sterilizer on a redsea 170

Current parameters
Nitrates 17.5
Phosphates 0.01
Alk 8.5
Calc 425
Mag 1400

2FF4F6FF-E773-4E79-8C99-00C1B7A96BF0.jpeg 58EEB2BC-0EF0-4B26-A30A-6C0D0E9B138E.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say without a microscope but it seems to be the normal trend any more… Dino’s after using chemiclean… it’s wiping the good and bad bacteria out then comes new problems.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well fair enough I would assume don’t use it again and probably just keep up with cleaning and dosing beneficial bacteria
I'm chasing my tail on one tank now after using flux for gha and chemiclean for cyano. Its been going on for about a year. Its a smaller tank and the only reason I haven't just started it over is because despite all the ups and downs my frags are really talking off.

OP
OP
JsLevine

JsLevine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm chasing my tail on one tank now after using flux for gha and chemiclean for cyano. Its been going on for about a year. Its a smaller tank and the only reason I haven't just started it over is because despite all the ups and downs my frags are really talking off.
I would say being in my first year of reefing I’m not doing to bad with the corals I just wish the magic hammer of chemiclean worked lol. Because to just have a pure white sand bed again would go a long way.

Attachments

• 69A7D18F-8EA6-4660-B6A2-7BF3312FBB7C.jpeg
    69A7D18F-8EA6-4660-B6A2-7BF3312FBB7C.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 52

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say being in my first year of reefing I’m not doing to bad with the corals I just wish the magic hammer of chemiclean worked lol. Because to just have a pure white sand bed again would go a long way.
It does look like some Dino’s I’d say run a uv if you have one and dose some silicates to create a diatom bloom and starve them out..

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank does look good except the sand. I love the look of sand but gave up and went bare bottom on all the tanks. I don't know how some folks keep nice white sand. Mine always looked nasty so I gave up on sand. The tank I'm having trouble with now was actually doing well until I added sand so I could keep a blue haddoni that I wanted. My troubles started when I added the sand. Now I have a nasty looking tank and beautiful blue haddoni that has taken up residence in the back behind rocks so it's barely visible. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank does look good except the sand. I love the look of sand but gave up and went bare bottom on all the tanks. I don't know how some folks keep nice white sand. Mine always looked nasty so I gave up on sand. The tank I'm having trouble with now was actually doing well until I added sand so I could keep a blue haddoni that I wanted. My troubles started when I added the sand. Now I have a nasty looking tank and beautiful blue haddoni that has taken up residence in the back behind rocks so it's barely visible. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Bacteria and carbon dosing works great! Diamond bar keeps it flipped and shiny white also. I do nothing to clean my sand ever lol..
IMG_3076.jpeg

OP
OP
JsLevine

JsLevine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like some Dino’s I’d say run a uv if you have one and dose some silicates to create a diatom bloom and starve them out..
so you are saying if I does silicates I will get the diatoms that free swim in the water with the lights out. Let them take over and then uv zap them?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you are saying if I does silicates I will get the diatoms that free swim in the water with the lights out. Let them take over and then uv zap them?
Does your sand bed clean up at night and get dirtier through out the day as the lights are on? If so then a uv will zap the Dino’s.. dosing silicates to introduce diatoms makes the Dino’s compete for food and the diatoms normally win… it easy to get rid of diatoms by stopping the silicate source.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I dosed chemiclean on a 4 month old tank and it got rid of the cyano just fine, but then I noticed dinos took over. I ran my UV, dosed silicates and iron, and turned my heat up to 82. I also made sure my nutrients weren't bottoming out. I also manually siphoned out as much as a could every few days so that it didnt overrun my tank. It went away in about a month.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria and carbon dosing works great! Diamond bar keeps it flipped and shiny white also. I do nothing to clean my sand ever lol..
IMG_3076.jpeg
Bacto balance, MB 7 and zeobac works great in my dining room tank but does squat in the problem tank with the sand. Been adding it close to a year. I've been removing the sand but tank still looks bad. I'm about to move the coral and fish out to another tank and close that one up. I have too many tanks running anyways. There's a fine line between work and pleasure and I'm teetering lol

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3076.jpeg
Bacto balance, MB 7 and zeobac works great in my dining room tank but does squat in the problem tank with the sand. Been adding it close to a year. I've been removing the sand but tank still looks bad. I'm about to move the coral and fish out to another tank and close that one up. I have too many tanks running anyways. There's a fine line between work and pleasure and I'm teetering lol

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sand brownish color? If so that means to back off the zeobak I’ve noticed that’s one side effect with it if you dose to much.. I add about 20 drops a week in 300 gallons

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive seen too many times after use of chemiclean, Dino emerges. Its likely due to imbalances and biological deficiencies created by the chemiclean or a drop in Nitrate and phosphate. We then assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more.
Adding NoPox and aminos to the tank will further feed dino and if doing so, stop for now

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3076.jpeg
@Troylee Stunning tank and sand! What sand did you use in your setup? That is amongst the nicest sand beds I have seen!

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting diamond goby we will see

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sand brownish color? If so that means to back off the zeobak I’ve noticed that’s one side effect with it if you dose to much.. I add about 20 drops a week in 300 gallons
No brown really. Its just been a roller coaster of gha - cyano, rinse and repeat. I just started the zeobac a couple months or so ago. I'm using 6 drops a week (3 drops x2) so it could be too much. I think I'm being punished for screwing with things when I shouldn't have. The tank was doing great then I decided to change out the rock work and later added the sand. I probably have a masochistic gene :grinning-face-with-sweat:

EDIT: @Troylee I may reach out to you for info on your methods when I get the new tank stocked if you don't mind? Your tank looks pretty darn nice .

OP
OP
JsLevine

JsLevine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your sand bed clean up at night and get dirtier through out the day as the lights are on? If so then a uv will zap the Dino’s.. dosing silicates to introduce diatoms makes the Dino’s compete for food and the diatoms normally win… it easy to get rid of diatoms by stopping the silicate source.
Nope they stay there all night I have a uv sterilizer directly plumbed into the return already

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back