Algae Death while Cycling Question

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a move I am starting my tank up again.

I used dry rock except I took 2 wet live rocks from my buddies tank to help with they cycling process.

Question is if I cycle with the lights off will it kill all of the algae on the live rock I have and add ammonia readings to the system?

Will the algae be fine with lights off for about a week or so?

Should I just cycle with the lights on and battle the algae as it comes?

I have some pods and a couple bottles of coralline algae on the way from Algae Barn to try and give it a head start ahead of the diatoms.

Appreciate any help.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those rocks came from a mature tank with a diverse ecosystem, then you don't need to add anything. What kind of algae is it? Some is fine with no light for a while whereas other might have issues.

I would leave the lights on so that the rock stays alive as possible.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those rocks came from a mature tank with a diverse ecosystem, then you don't need to add anything. What kind of algae is it? Some is fine with no light for a while whereas other might have issues.

I would leave the lights on so that the rock stays alive as possible.
No idea on the algae types.

One rock seems to have a dark green almost black encrusting plaque while the other rock has very short haired green algae. Almost like hair algae, but very short.

I will leave the light on and continue to monitor ammonia and nitrate conversion.

Thank you.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely will never measure any nh4 or no3. This is OK. Don't try and force nh4 into the tank.

If that algae is ugly or problematic, you will need things to eat it. Urchins or lots of snails/crabs.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely will never measure any nh4 or no3. This is OK. Don't try and force nh4 into the tank.

If that algae is ugly or problematic, you will need things to eat it. Urchins or lots of snails/crabs.
Well I mean I just set it up 2 days ago.

Shouldn't I be watching nh4 to convert to no3 to make sure my cycle has started? I get never measuring it after your sure your cycle has started though. No point.

Most of the tank was dry rock. I did add a bottle of Biospira, wet live sand, and 2 wet live rocks. It's a 32 gal Biocube.

Loved my old Tuxedo urchin, an absolute algae eating machine when he wasn't stealing coral frags. Snails were well... snails. Flipping over the Astrea on occasion became kind of a pain. Or sometimes the Tuxedo would steal them and wear them as well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae on those rocks can use nh4 directly. It might never get converted to no2 and then no3. Certainly, not all nh4 can get grabbed by the algae, but if there AOB (ammonia oxidizing bacteria) and NOB (nitrate oxidizing bacteria) on those rocks, they are already spreading and making sure that your nh4 levels likely never get high enough that you can test them.

Bacteria are not the only things that use ammonia. As the tank continues to cycle over the years (a real cycle never end - hence the word), more and more things develop that use ammonia outright and the bacteria fall back into a lesser role. This is all good. If you take out a bunch of algae or corals and there is more ammonia, the AOB will quickly multiply.

Pencil urchins mostly stay on the rocks and do not pick up other things to decorate themselves with.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae on those rocks can use nh4 directly. It might never get converted to no2 and then no3. Certainly, not all nh4 can get grabbed by the algae, but if there AOB (ammonia oxidizing bacteria) and NOB (nitrate oxidizing bacteria) on those rocks, they are already spreading and making sure that your nh4 levels likely never get high enough that you can test them.
I did not know this. Thank you.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time. Hollar if you need anything else. This is why any cycle will always end up working if you give them enough time and don't jam a lot of fish in there. Even if the AOB are slow to develop, once some film bacteria or algae develop, they can use nh4 directly. The issue is never how to start the tank cycling, it is just about resisting the urge to stock too fast. Even normal tap water with some salt mix AND NOTHING ELSE will eventually get diatoms, algae, cyano, etc. and then you can add fish and have those things use nh4 directly and then the fish waste will introduce AOB and NOB.

I know that the current trend online is to just think about bacteria in a bottle, but they are just a small cog in the wheel.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back