Growing Coralline algae in a unlighted tank

bruceosterberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21 here and my 40 gallon AIO tank has cycled. Both ammonia and nitrite are now zero with Nitrate about 7. I have not had the lights on this tank as of yet and I have not added any live occupants to the tank. I would like to put in a piece of rock that has coralline algae or a frag plug that is small enough to get my tank seeded. Will it grow coralline algae with the light off? And when intro u Ching a small rock or frag plug is it ok to do a coral dip o make sure no unwanted critters are also included. Thanks

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, coralline algae does need light to grow.

However, if you're just looking to "seed" your tank with some coralline algae to get you started, you may be interested in the bottled algae from Arc Reef. I've never personally used it, and it definitely gets some mixed reviews, but at least some say that it works. This product is said to have live algae spores, and not just algae "fertilizers" like other similar products such as Purple Up.

Here's a link to a discussion about it on R2R:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coralline-algae-in-a-bottle-does-it-work.529759/

This is the product, but you can get it from a few different places, including Amazon and Algae Barn, and I believe directly through Arc Reef as well:
Arc Reef Live Coralline Algae from BRS

Good luck!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, coralline algae does need light to grow.

However, if you're just looking to "seed" your tank with some coralline algae to get you started, you may be interested in the bottled algae from Arc Reef. I've never personally used it, and it definitely gets some mixed reviews, but at least some say that it works. This product is said to have live algae spores, and not just algae "fertilizers" like other similar products such as Purple Up.

Here's a link to a discussion about it on R2R:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coralline-algae-in-a-bottle-does-it-work.529759/

This is the product, but you can get it from a few different places, including Amazon and Algae Barn, and I believe directly through Arc Reef as well:
Arc Reef Live Coralline Algae from BRS

Good luck!
Just to let you know the ARC bottled algae was at the very most underwhelming. Its an 8oz bottle of water with a couple pieces of coralline in it. The bottle looks nothing like the pics on the website. It also took 4 weeks to get. Save the $30 and see if an lfs or buddy can chip some off the glass for you.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know the ARC bottled algae was at the very most underwhelming. Its an 8oz bottle of water with a couple pieces of coralline in it. The bottle looks nothing like the pics on the website. It also took 4 weeks to get. Save the $30 and see if an lfs or buddy can chip some off the glass for you.
Thanks for sharing your experience with that product. As I mentioned, I've never used it, and some people definitely said it was crap, but others said it worked well for them. I tend to agree, I'd just get a small rock or something from an existing tank with some coralline already growing.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21 here and my 40 gallon AIO tank has cycled. Both ammonia and nitrite are now zero with Nitrate about 7. I have not had the lights on this tank as of yet and I have not added any live occupants to the tank. I would like to put in a piece of rock that has coralline algae or a frag plug that is small enough to get my tank seeded. Will it grow coralline algae with the light off? And when intro u Ching a small rock or frag plug is it ok to do a coral dip o make sure no unwanted critters are also included. Thanks
Coralline needs both light and calcium to grow. As for unwanted critters on the live rock, put in a bucket with hyper salinity (like 1.035) for a few minutes, all critters will leave the rock trying to get away from the salinity. Then take to rock out and you will see what critters you have. pick and choose what you want to keep or discard.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back