Algae eater recommendations

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations about adding an algae eater to help with GHA widespread on the rocks. Nutrients are as low as I can have them (Nitrates 2-5, Phos 0.04) without triggering a massive dino outbreak currently under control. Two urchins (one pincushion and one tuxedo), 3 emerald and 2 hermit crabs, turbo and trochus snails are helping somewhat but seem insufficient for the task.

The system is a reefer 350 (73g DT, 91g total volume, 47" x 21" x 20") with mixed corals and the following fish:
1. Ocellaris clown pair
2. Purple Firefish pair
3. Saphire blue damsel
4. Lawnmower blenny
5. Mandarin dragonet

I was thinking on the following options:
1. Kole or Tomini Tangs: They are barely on the recommended volume by LiveAquaria. I am concerned they will go for the blenny (LFS says it is almost certain)
2. One spot foxface: May be too big for the current tank

That's were my list of possibilities ends.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the big Mexican turbo snails are much better algae eaters than the smaller choices for snails. That would be worth a try. Plus, they are cool to have since they grow to about golf ball size.

I have seen what your LFS is speaking of, between bristletooth tangs and lawnmower type blennies. They sometimes hate each other. Some folks do have luck with the combo. I have a lawnmower and tomini in my 125. They chase each other around, and there is an occasional blenny-mouth-shaped scrape on the side of the tang, but they have lived that way for a couple years (i think?). The tank size is fine for any of the tangs in that genus (Ctenochaetus), besides chevron.

The other tang choices would be yellow, purple, scopas (but NOT the sailfins). But, the tank is on the small side, and I would not attempt to add any other laterally compressed fish after one of these tangs...so other tangs, butterflies, angels, etc.

The rabbit is an okay choice. They are the best algae eating fish. The downside is their size, although they don't seem to pace like tangs sometimes do. Pick one of the magnificent, bicolor, foxface, or 1 spot and not one of the other rabbits. Ideally, I would recommend somewhere in the standard 120-125 range for the first group, and 180-240 for most of the other rabbits that get larger.

Good luck.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get tuxedo urchins, I bought them from AlgaeBarn and have not been disappointed. Absolutely mow down the live rock in my tank. Only issue will be frag plugs moving around on you but thats not a huge deal.

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the big Mexican turbo snails are much better algae eaters than the smaller choices for snails. That would be worth a try. Plus, they are cool to have since they grow to about golf ball size.

I have seen what your LFS is speaking of, between bristletooth tangs and lawnmower type blennies. They sometimes hate each other. Some folks do have luck with the combo. I have a lawnmower and tomini in my 125. They chase each other around, and there is an occasional blenny-mouth-shaped scrape on the side of the tang, but they have lived that way for a couple years (i think?). The tank size is fine for any of the tangs in that genus (Ctenochaetus), besides chevron.

The other tang choices would be yellow, purple, scopas (but NOT the sailfins). But, the tank is on the small side, and I would not attempt to add any other laterally compressed fish after one of these tangs...so other tangs, butterflies, angels, etc.

The rabbit is an okay choice. They are the best algae eating fish. The downside is their size, although they don't seem to pace like tangs sometimes do. Pick one of the magnificent, bicolor, foxface, or 1 spot and not one of the other rabbits. Ideally, I would recommend somewhere in the standard 120-125 range for the first group, and 180-240 for most of the other rabbits that get larger.

Good luck.
Thanks for the long and thoughtful advice. I have 3 turbos that do not seem to make a dent to the algae. The LFS has a small one-spot foxface and I am thinking about that possibility vs. a Kole tang. Have to think what to do if the LMB and the tang don't get along...

Get tuxedo urchins, I bought them from AlgaeBarn and have not been disappointed. Absolutely mow down the live rock in my tank. Only issue will be frag plugs moving around on you but thats not a huge deal.
I have one tuxedo and one pincushion. They decorate themselves with shelves and have not discovered the new frag rack yet.....
How many urchins are recommended for a 73g tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lawnmower blenny

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the turbos, they clean well, I would invest in a cleanup crew if you feed alot. Turbos will munch on nori if you feed it on a clip, and coraline seems to grow on them more than other snails ime.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Missed GHA:
White light reduction and liquid vibrant worked excellent for me
Conventional: turbo, astrea, trochus and fighting conch snails plus a few blue leg hermits
Sea hare may work also

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed GHA:
White light reduction and liquid vibrant worked excellent for me
Conventional: turbo, astrea, trochus and fighting conch snails plus a few blue leg hermits
Sea hare may work also
Thank you for the advice. Been on the fence with Vibrant as I have read mixed reviews (including the 300+ page thread in this site). I am leaning towards it though..... Did you see any issues when using it? Are you still using vibrant?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the advice. Been on the fence with Vibrant as I have read mixed reviews (including the 300+ page thread in this site). I am leaning towards it though..... Did you see any issues when using it? Are you still using vibrant?
I still use as needed and applied it at 80% of recommended dosage. No effects with my tanks I used it on

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back