Tang addition recommendations

belly14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a Waterbox Infina 125 Frag (recently upgraded from a smaller tank) and am looking to add another Tang to the group to go with my Silverspot Bristletooth. I love the yellow tang but have read some hit-and-miss. I know with most there will be no guarantees but wanted to get any ideas on a good potential tang-mate for the silverspot.

Current stock:

• 2 Spot Foxface
  • Silverspot Bristletooth Tang
  • 4 x Chromis
  • 2 x Clowns
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • A bunch of different corals

As always, any advice much appreciated!

Chris.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think yellow tang should be a good fit since it's a different body shape. If there's serious aggression, just isolate the existing tang for a week or so. I got mine from Biota, you can use code REEFSTACHE for 10% off if you go that route.

1705607825004.png

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that's a 6 foot tank. If it is, imo any zebrasoma Tang is likely an option. Your best options are probably yellow, purple, or scopas. You could also probably do a sailfin or gem. Smaller acanthurus tangs would also probably work: convict, Powder blue, etc.

Aggression is a toss-up. Convict tangs have a rep for being chiller tangs, but they're often not easy to acclimate to tanks and its not a guarantee that it'll be nice. Tangs are tangs. They have a wide variance in temperament, and there's always risk for any of them.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a Waterbox Infina 125 Frag (recently upgraded from a smaller tank) and am looking to add another Tang to the group to go with my Silverspot Bristletooth. I love the yellow tang but have read some hit-and-miss. I know with most there will be no guarantees but wanted to get any ideas on a good potential tang-mate for the silverspot.

Current stock:

• 2 Spot Foxface
  • 4 x Chromis
  • 2 x Clowns
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Cleaner Shrimp

Chris.
Blue hippo, yellow, or purple are all good options! I have all 3. My biota yellow is super bright

Attachments

• IMG_3855.jpeg
    IMG_3855.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 19

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Current stock:

• 2 Spot Foxface
  • 4 x Chromis
  • 2 x Clowns
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Cleaner Shrimp

Chris.
Honestly, in a 4’ tank I’d say you’re restricted. You’ve already got a Rabbitfish and silver spot, at 16” tall you’re likely going to find that territory in the tank is low. I’d say stick with those two large fish you have, add a bunch of smaller more active species like Wrasses.

The issue doesn’t come with your current tang being aggressive, it’s any added tang that will be much more nasty and likely won’t allow other smaller fish. If I’m honest 5’x2’x2’ is the minimum tank size I’d personally put in a Zebrasoma tang as they get taller and larger than the bristletooths.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, in a 4’ tank I’d say you’re restricted. You’ve already got a Rabbitfish and silver spot, at 16” tall you’re likely going to find that territory in the tank is low. I’d say stick with those two large fish you have, add a bunch of smaller more active species like Wrasses.

The issue doesn’t come with your current tang being aggressive, it’s any added tang that will be much more nasty and likely won’t allow other smaller fish. If I’m honest 5’x2’x2’ is the minimum tank size I’d personally put in a Zebrasoma tang as they get taller and larger than the bristletooths.
Agree, I thought it was a six footer for some reason

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree, I thought it was a six footer for some reason

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Current stock:

• 2 Spot Foxface
  • 4 x Chromis
  • 2 x Clowns
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Cleaner Shrimp

Chris.
What "hit-and-miss" about the Yellow tang? They would be fine. CB yellow tang can be small and may not do well in DT unless you have a grow out tank. Either that or get a larger Yellow tang. Other than that, Yellow tang would be perfect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back