Algae ID for a complete newbie.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased an moved an existing tank this weekend and was curious what algae this is if anyone knows. I believe the previous owner said it was introduced, but was in the middle of the move and am unsure. He didnt use live rock so this has all grown since he set it up 4 months ago.

Not looking to get rid of it, just curious what it is and would just like it to mix in with some other colors like the purple and red corallines.

I read a green algae like this proceeds coralline and is a indicator your tank is ready for corraline growth, is that what this is?

Thanks!!!

IMG_6836.jpg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard or does it rub off? Because it does look like green coraline but I've never seen it so thoroughly coat a rock. Pinks and purples usually grow over it before it could get that far. It's possible but entirely rare that that's the only coraline in your tank. That looks awesome actually.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard or does it rub off? Because it does look like green coraline but I've never seen it so thoroughly coat a rock. Pinks and purples usually grow over it before it could get that far. It's possible but entirely rare that that's the only coraline in your tank. That looks awesome actually.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely hard and does not rub off. It may be green coraline because my wife said that he did add it, he just didn't tell her what it was. She just told me he said you can start to see the red and purple corraline starting. And now that I'm home and the water has cleared up after the move you sure enough can see it in small patches bordering the green.. just didn't think green grew that fast. Cool

Thanks for the response.

♂️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back