Algae ID , gha? Lynngba? And cyano?

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two tanks with unwanted organisms. Can you help with ID so I can treat appropriately.

First tank new ish 90 gallon currently being dosed with peroxide until next week. ( 7 weeks so far). Thinking about flucon for algae. Wall algae with bubbles (lynngba?) and gha?

2nd tank has cyano ? It's an older tank that got cyano after dosing nopox for one month. I discontinued nopox. But cyano ? Never went away. Thinking chemiclean, unless it's dino or something.

IMG_20230303_191317.jpg IMG_20230304_124125.jpg IMG_20230304_124225.jpg IMG_20230304_113244.jpg IMG_20230304_113302.jpg IMG_20230304_113332.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank new ish 90 gallon currently being dosed with peroxide until next week. ( 7 weeks so far). Thinking about flucon for algae. Wall algae with bubbles (lynngba?) and gha?

2nd tank has cyano ? It's an older tank that got cyano after dosing nopox for one month. I discontinued nopox. But cyano ? Never went away. Thinking chemiclean, unless it's dino or something.
1. A "new-ish" tank can go through the algae cycle/ugly stage for up to 6-9 months. Unless coral is being directly affected, best course of action IMO is manual removal, regular water changes, adding biodiversity, and managing nutrient export. I personally wouldn't add any chemical (H2O2 is fine short term or to spot treat) or antibiotics/antifungals at this point
2. Certainly looks like cyano, which is in every tank (every body of fresh or saltwater actually) and can "bloom" when parameters are out of whack. Since you already treated with nopox which might have contributed to the imbalance that allowed cyano to take hold, again I'd recommend manual removal of as much as possible (daily if needed), and keeping your tank stable so the other bacteria, archaea, and algae can get back to a good equilibrium.

For both tanks, adding copepods will be helpful and some have luck with adding bacteria like Dr. Tim's Waste Away (or similar products).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back