Cyano bacteria out of control

gixxerkev86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

This is my first post over here and already a most asked question ( i know ) .

Since i've been batteling mostly all dino's in my tank and defeated them i occour a new next problem.

A cyano bloom where i dont know where it can come from.. here and there i read its completely normal it occurs after some dino battles and that it is completely normal ( what i have read )

Now i ask myself how to outcompete them?

My nutrient values are for po4 0.10 and no3 10ppm wich are good for a mixed reef .

So my cyano aint coming from the nutrients i suppose but the lack of bacteria ( i think & correct me if im wrong )

I started adding new bacteria with microblift with the starting dosage per gallon and the following dosage.

Also i add nopox ( diy ) to feed the bacteria. What i conclude is that the nopox also feeds the cyano.

After that i was searching about it and some people experience it good to keep dosing and some not? So this is kinda confusing now ,

Anyone good ideas / experience how i can get this over?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting over dinos (at least for now) and entering the cyano phase. I also had a huge cyano bloom after dinos got u see control. The cyano was mostly large mats of purple growth on the sand. What I did was siphon out the top layer of sand, rinsed it with saltwater until it ran clear, and then put it back in. I did this 2-3 times over the course of a week and the cyano never came back. Instead I then had a massive 3 week GHA outbreak. That was combatted mostly by scrubbing the rocks every few days and getting more CUC fish and inverts. Once that was done my tank stabilized and I have almost no ugly growth of any sort for the last month or so. My CUC was feasting before whereas now I worry they may not have enough algae to eat.

When I was battling dinos I dosed bottled bacteria, phyto and silicate. Once Dino's were done I just dose bacteria and phyto. I don't think phyto is needed---I just have it around since it is so easy to culture.

Just keep at it! You'll get to a stable tank soon.

OP
OP
G

gixxerkev86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics
I made some pictures, its not so realy visible anymore ( i think its slowing down) i am syphoning it every day and started with the repopulate of the bacterias.

Im noticing that there is some small pieces of bryopsis coming .

Attachments

• PXL_20240314_191119255.jpg
    PXL_20240314_191119255.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20240314_191108670.jpg
    PXL_20240314_191108670.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
G

gixxerkev86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting over dinos (at least for now) and entering the cyano phase. I also had a huge cyano bloom after dinos got u see control. The cyano was mostly large mats of purple growth on the sand. What I did was siphon out the top layer of sand, rinsed it with saltwater until it ran clear, and then put it back in. I did this 2-3 times over the course of a week and the cyano never came back. Instead I then had a massive 3 week GHA outbreak. That was combatted mostly by scrubbing the rocks every few days and getting more CUC fish and inverts. Once that was done my tank stabilized and I have almost no ugly growth of any sort for the last month or so. My CUC was feasting before whereas now I worry they may not have enough algae to eat.

When I was battling dinos I dosed bottled bacteria, phyto and silicate. Once Dino's were done I just dose bacteria and phyto. I don't think phyto is needed---I just have it around since it is so easy to culture.

Just keep at it! You'll get to a stable tank soon.
That is exactly how i did it to to battle the dino's and also running an oversized UV to battle the ostreopsis dino.

That run done and now the cyano cycle , what i do notice in this cycle is that i am having some issues with hair algea or bryopsis. It is still in a early fase to identify it exactly. Or i need to put it under the scope.

Currently i need to upgrade the CUC , now i only have 2 hermit crabs, 2 green crabs ( lost the name lol ) , 2 sandstars , bunch of mexian turbos and a fox face in my 90 gallon.

Im thinking about to get some more hermit crabs and a zebrosoma tang what i think could be a good addon. ( Correct me if im wrong )

Been some days now after my first notice and i see some small improvements in the cyano.

Still adding the bacteria starting dosage till day 8 and nopox.

Hopefully im on the right track with this

How did you experienced the dinos after your outbreak? Did they returned on some point ? Ot still never came back ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back