Dinos or Cyano??

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an algae outbreak recently causing my zoas and gsp to close up. I'm not sure whether or not it's dinos or cyano. I've been changing filter floss daily, I just did a water change, I've been adding peroxide and bacteria daily. I've been trying to kill it off. Please help because I'm not sure whether it's dinos or cyano and I do not have a microscope to ID it. Here are some pictures of it that my filter floss collected.
1000004488.jpg
1000004489.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it does

You sure? Maybe you should sniff it again. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Do they go into the water column at night? If so get your nutrients fixed and a UV sterilizer will fix the issue in 1-2 days.

In the mean time throw in some fresh activated carbon before you start losing livestock.

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do they go into the water column at night? If so get your nutrients fixed and a UV sterilizer will fix the issue in 1-2 days.

In the mean time throw in some fresh activated carbon before you start losing livestock.
Do you mean like float around in the water column at night? If so I'm not sure, I'll look tonight

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean like float around in the water column at night? If so I'm not sure, I'll look tonight

When the lights first come on is the tank cleaner looking and then gradually gets worse longer lights are on? If so they are going into the water column and it’s a pretty easy fix. If not it’s just a long slow battle.

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights first come on is the tank cleaner looking and then gradually gets worse longer lights are on? If so they are going into the water column and it’s a pretty easy fix. If not it’s just a long slow battle.
I'm not sure but it usually isn't as bad when I wake up then everything is almost covered. I'm doing a coffee filter test right now.

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run chemipure elite, do you think I should throw it away and replace it? Also do you have a UV recommendation? I have a fluval flex 15 AIO.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chemipure elite, do you think I should throw it away and replace it? Also do you have a UV recommendation? I have a fluval flex 15 AIO.

I would replace it just to be safe. As for UV you’re lucky. Your tank is small enough that pretty much any of them should work. I would just get something cheap like: This

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace it just to be safe. As for UV you’re lucky. Your tank is small enough that pretty much any of them should work. I would just get something cheap like: This
I don't think that one goes in the back chamber though, I might buy the biocube UV because it should fit and it is about the same price + goes in the back chamber. Also, I don't have carbon or chemipure on hand do I'm not sure what to do.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that one goes in the back chamber though, I might buy the biocube UV because it should fit and it is about the same price + goes in the back chamber. Also, I don't have carbon or chemipure on hand do I'm not sure what to do.

You can buy activated carbon at most grocery stores in pet section. As for fitting in the back it doesn’t need to. Just run it in the tank until dinos clear then an extra 48 hours to be safe. Then pull it out until the next algae, bacteria, Dino, whatever bloom.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bit to big for 15g?
I use that one on a 200g and its done clearing in a week.
It’s 12” high and 3” by 3”.

Need much smaller footprint, maybe 5-10 watts.

I’ve seen some way smaller ones that would fit in the back.

Remember, a numbers game, not just UV.
Nutrients up and stable, daily manual removal by changing filter pads each morning, a light vacum of sandbed when lights on through a sock, then put that water back.

Daily small dose of bacteria and dash of live phyto.

Dinos multiply quickly, much quicker than the good guys, so daily intervention works well.

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bit to big for 15g?
I use that one on a 200g and its done clearing in a week.
It’s 12” high and 3” by 3”.

Need much smaller footprint, maybe 5-10 watts.

If it were my tank it would have a 48w unit sitting on the floor running via a DC return pump. Why wait weeks when you can wait hours. lol.

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy activated carbon at most grocery stores in pet section. As for fitting in the back it doesn’t need to. Just run it in the tank until dinos clear then an extra 48 hours to be safe. Then pull it out until the next algae, bacteria, Dino, whatever bloom.
Okay.

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank it would have a 48w unit sitting on the floor running via a DC return pump. Why wait weeks when you can wait hours. lol.
My dad has a 16 biocube and he isn't running his UV right now so he will let me use it. We live together, I just turned 13 LOL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back