Algae ID Help

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have this nuisance algae in my tank on some of the rocks and some of the back glass. I feel like it's green hair algae, but it's impossible to remove from rock with toothbrush or by hand.

Nothing in my tank seems to want to munch on it, I have a yellow tang, a foxface rabbitfish, a bristletooth tang, starry blenny, turbo and margarita snails, and an urchin.

I'm dosing NoPox at 3ml per 25gal for about a week now. Prior to dosing my Nitrates were >5, used a Hanna checker and didn't do the diluted test to get a better reading. Phosphates were 0.21

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0103.jpg

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the ID.. it does seem to be turf algae, and it had continue to spread.
As I mentioned I was not able to pull the turf algae off by hand, a toothbrush also didn't remove it nor did a metal bristle brush.

It stopped dosing NoPox as this meant I had to reduce the running of my ReefMat.

I ordered some Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter Clean and Razor, and began dosing as per their directions.
After 2.5 - 3 weeks of dosing the turf algae was still attached to the rocks and was still dark in colour. However, I was now able to pull the algae off the rocks and the metal bristle brush was very effective in scrubbing the rocks.

After hearing and experiencing how difficult it is to remove turf algae, I am happy that this solution seems to have worked.

Now to ensure I don't see it again :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back