Algae ID on my zoas please

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I have seaweed growing on the other side of my tank, which is intentional as my yellow tang loves to snack on it.

Over the past week I have seen a 'seaweed' type algae I think growing on my zoas. Could it be the same thing that has spread, or is it something completely different?

I picked a piece off and it is quite rubbery, starts off pale and turns quite green.

I'll attach a photo of the Zoas with the growth on and also my seaweed for a comparison.

Also I do have hair algae which I am battling currently so please ignore that :)

20200703_163905.jpg 20200703_163933.jpg 20200703_163911.jpg

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really depends on if you like macro-alga's or not. It's definitely not going to directly harm anything other than behaving like a weed where it will compete for light and nutrients. In some tanks where it does really well it can be difficult to fully erradicate making it a baddie for those reefers.

On the other hand it's often sold as a macro-algae and can make an excellent alternative to chaeto. If you like it, I would keep it! If it starts growing out of control I would work on reducing your nutrients going in the tank or setup a chaeto refugium to out-compete it. It can easily grow long 5-6" 'leaves' if they are not torn off by a tang or other inhabitants.

Fun fact, Ulva is an edible seaweed and there are a lot of recipes online if you're ever feeling "adventurous". Despite this, it's pretty hit or miss for tangs in my experience, some love and others won't touch it.

OP
OP
ConorE

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really depends on if you like macro-alga's or not. It's definitely not going to directly harm anything other than behaving like a weed where it will compete for light and nutrients. In some tanks where it does really well it can be difficult to fully erradicate making it a baddie for those reefers.

On the other hand it's often sold as a macro-algae and can make an excellent alternative to chaeto. If you like it, I would keep it! If it starts growing out of control I would work on reducing your nutrients going in the tank or setup a chaeto refugium to out-compete it. It can easily grow long 5-6" 'leaves' if they are not torn off by a tang or other inhabitants.

Fun fact, Ulva is an edible seaweed and there are a lot of recipes online if you're ever feeling "adventurous". Despite this, it's pretty hit or miss for tangs in my experience, some love and others won't touch it.
Awesome, thank you for the advice!

I have a chaeto refugium currently being set up, so of it gets out of hand that's always an option.

I'll see how my tangs get on with it;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back