I need help identifying strange hedge algea and sea algae that came on wild corals

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have look through all kinds of nuisance algae posts and articles and have never seen either of these. The hedge type has been in tank a good while and is getting everywhere and to dense for snails to take care of.

I also have this very stringy wire type algae that is now not only on the hammers, torches and scolys they came in on but starting to spread. At one point it was all over my zoas on my frag rack so I kept putting my ravenous conch on top of the frag rack( he cant climb well) and he has done a pretty good job but how do I keep it from coming back?

I have been hand plucking it as well as treating it with peroxide and its almost gone but it still continues to grow back since I cant get it from the root! . How do you get it from the root so it dosnt grow back? I need to completely kill it!

Someone please tell me what to do! I don t have much of a clean up crew just one astrea and the conch and kind of scared to add any hermits now that I have a lot of acclimating zoas on sand bed. Plus I have a ton of baby snails everywhere so thats one reason I dont like snails and they never seemed to help much except my conch and he stays on sand bed!

1st pic is sea algae that came on frags 2nd is when it got crazy on frag rack other two are of the dense brush hedge type algae last pic is day after my conch was placed on rack. Its even better now but still keep plucking hairs that keep coming back! I want to get rid of it germanely! I also have bubble algae and once I move my zoas to frag rack I will get an Emerald crab. Unless someone knows of a better way!

Also if anyone knows how to get rid of a ton of green plays that has taken over my rock Please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

sea hair algae.jpg sea algae2.jpg algae2.jpg algae3.jpg sea hair on frags.jpg

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck. This post didn't come out right! I guess because I pushed question instead of discussions. I hope people still see it in discussion threads! I screwed up big time!

Can anyone tell me how to make the title bold?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list parameters also please?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list parameters also please?
my po4 was up to 0.11 and just changed the gfo My alk is about 9.5 last I checked my calcium was high at 500 but that was about a month ago so I need to recheck and mag was about 1360, nitrates 12
I have two tanks and the one I listed parameters is the one with the stringy hair alage the other one has the hedge
parameters nearly the same but po4 just recently jumped to 0.34 and just changed gfo and out of test strips! I usually keep po4 about 0.03 until it starts creeping but thats not the problem because it been there for years!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my po4 was up to 0.11 and just changed the gfo My alk is about 9.5 last I checked my calcium was high at 500 but that was about a month ago so I need to recheck and mag was about 1360, nitrates 12
I have two tanks and the one I listed parameters is the one with the stringy hair alage the other one has the hedge
parameters nearly the same but po4 just recently jumped to 0.34 and just changed gfo and out of test strips! I usually keep po4 about 0.03 until it starts creeping but thats not the problem because it been there for years!

I'm not sure, but I'm happy to give you a bump.
Please do I am baffled! I also thought I would get more responses. maybe its the way I posted it!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back