Algae id solutions?

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me with a solution to removing this algae, i have attempted to scrape and remove so many times and after a couple of days is back again is mostly just growing all on the wall

water parameters
ph 7.9
alkalinity 9.1
phosphate 0
nitrate 8
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
4B96970E-F59E-4D3B-86A8-CA38392092E2.jpeg
F6C3C59E-C108-4D39-B735-B5969073872D.jpeg

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me with a solution to removing this algae, i have attempted to scrape and remove so many times and after a couple of days is back again is mostly just growing all on the wall

water parameters
ph 7.9
alkalinity 9.1
phosphate 0
nitrate 8
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
4B96970E-F59E-4D3B-86A8-CA38392092E2.jpeg
F6C3C59E-C108-4D39-B735-B5969073872D.jpeg
Ahh pic is so blue. Plz try to post in white lights. What is the age of your tank? It can be cyano but pics in white lights would be helpful :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to see full tank picture

How many gallons is the tank

Those are the most deciding two factors in fixing your tank.

Guessed test levels from non digital nitrate and phosphate kits won't factor.

If it's a medium to small sized reef you have a very lucky option large tankers don't get

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mostly hair algae to me, although the bubbles in it might indicate some other stuff mixed in.

Since it's on the glass, that's easy to remove. Shut off pumps, then scrape with a razor blade while siphoning and removing.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd scrape it off the glass and then up your cleanup crew game with some turbos. They won't eat it while it is long, but they will feast on it while it is barely seen on the glass after a scraping.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algae. Maintain nitrate and phosphate in the ideal range (yes these matter for the health of the coral) and with a large variety of algaevores.

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank new? May be hair algae or Bubble algae.
#reefsquad
Need to see full tank picture

How many gallons is the tank

Those are the most deciding two factors in fixing your tank.

Guessed test levels from non digital nitrate and phosphate kits won't factor.

If it's a medium to small sized reef you have a very lucky option large tankers don't get
hiya my tank is 60L, the test was run by the reef shop on their little spiny machine

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 1.5 years old
Do u hv anything to help with flow i.e, like wave maker? U hv to manually pull it out with gloves by switching your wavemaker off so that it may not spread. Also check that wavemaker is clean,if u hv so that it generate good flow and there would not be any dead spot

Add predators like Lawnmower blennies,emerald crab, etc.

I think u r using tap water,right?

U can low the light timings as algae usually make food from lights, nutrients and phosphates

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u hv anything to help with flow i.e, like wave maker? U hv to manually pull it out with gloves by switching your wavemaker off so that it may not spread. Also check that wavemaker is clean,if u hv so that it generate good flow and there would not be any dead spot

Add predators like Lawnmower blennies,emerald crab, etc.

I think u r using tap water,right?

U can low the light timings as algae usually make food from lights, nutrients and phosphates
i don’t have any snails or anything so will try adding them, don’t have a wave maker the only thing that creates flow is the filter, I don’t use tap water i use RO water which i go and get from the fish shop along with my salt water

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t have any snails or anything so will try adding them, don’t have a wave maker the only thing that creates flow is the filter, I don’t use tap water i use RO water which i go and get from the fish shop along with my salt water
Try to add wavemaker that will assure that u don't hv any dead spot.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’s dead spot
Spot which does not receive flow. Coz of less/no flow, detritus will gather,nutrients will not rotate and gaseous exchange will be poor. So it is important for fishes. U can even add a freshwater pump for rotation to save some money:)

Back