Algae ID with video

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbo2oh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

turbo2oh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
56
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some assistance Identifying the algae in my tank. I’m attaching a video. If I scoop it up it does kind of hold together in that it’s kind of stringy doesn’t feel mucus or slimy.

My tank parameters are:
Calcium: 421
Alk: 8.2
mg: 1213
Phosphate: 0.13
Nitrate: 0

I know I should try to get nitrate up general but would like to ID the algae first. I did recently have some GHA that’s mostly gone. Not sure if this is remnants of that or something else. My yellow eye Kole tang does pick at it some.
 
Photo under white lights would help!
 
20260520_114235_5F0A7650-CF5F-4606-8696-14B9425B5AC7.png
a

20260520_114235_9D15D7E2-6552-402E-B6A3-C0852FFCC928.png


20260520_114235_34A9BDCF-2474-4051-9736-96B21AE39F1C.png
 
Looks like hair algae, or Cladophoropsis (Green Wiry Algae). Would recommend cutting down the lights or doing a blackout, and then physically removing as much as possible. This can be a stubborn type of algae so you may be battling it for a while before finding something that works. Tuxedo or pincushion urchins would help as well.
 
Can anyone ID this algae. I’m afraid it’s bryopsis 😬



IMG_2151.jpeg

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg
I mean there is some fern-like growth at the tips on the right side, but the rest could be something else entirely like Cladophora. It looks like a mix of different algae 🤔🫤
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new