Algae ID

sticky_rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Was wondering what kind of algae this is and how I can get rid of it. I tried manually removing it but it comes back within a day. Tanks been set up for almost three months.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut lights to 6 hours for 2 weeks with blue and uv only no whites. Increase flow to affected areas. Weekly water changes with siphon out.

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sticky_rice
Your cyno infestation is very light. Would you post a full tank shot under white light? Considering a 3 month setup, emerging algaes are part of a normal cycle.

Chemical treatment should not be a first option, and in fact, ChemiClean can impact many things negatively as it kills bacteria.

Upvote 0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more like dinos too me ..at a guess i would say its prorocentrum...but will need to see a sample under microscope for a positive ID... check out my group on facebook ...mack's reef dino support group . Download the pdf file dealing with dinos ...you will find it in the files tab .!
Dino posters Dallas  9_png.png

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more like dinos too me ..at a guess i would say its prorocentrum...but will need to see a sample under microscope for a positive ID... check out my group on facebook ...mack's reef dino support group . Download the pdf file dealing with dinos ...you will find it in the files tab .!
I thought so initially too but don't see any air bubbles and looks like it will come off in sheets.

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Was wondering what kind of algae this is and how I can get rid of it. I tried manually removing it but it comes back within a day. Tanks been set up for almost three months.
@sticky_rice
Consider starting a tank journal and detail how you set up your tank for its nitrification bacteria cycle. Once you do that, then advice can be specific to your cycle and your tank.

PS: Since this is your first post, welcome to r2r.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so initially too but don't see any air bubbles and looks like it will come off in sheets.
Not all dinos have bubbles in them thats usually just found with ostreopsis..if its coming of in sheets then its more likely to be prorocentrum they form matts ..recomend treatment is dosing silicates ...

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all dinos have bubbles in them thats usually just found with ostreopsis..if its coming of in sheets then its more likely to be prorocentrum they form matts ..recomend treatment is dosing silicates ...
Would silica dosing promote diatom growth?

I dose silicates to grow ornamental sponges.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sticky_rice
Consider starting a tank journal and detail how you set up your tank for its nitrification bacteria cycle. Once you do that, then advice can be specific to your cycle and your tank.

Ditto

Upvote 0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a new tank cycle, it is doubtful that silicates are depleted. That’s why I asked OP to detail his startup.
Personally i believe that the rise of dinos over the last 10 -15years has something to do with the LED lights ..where there is a specific spectrum that feeds/ fuels them ...10-15 years ago when everybody was using t5s and metal halides and running ulns systems dinos were unheard off ..
In fact i spoke with Ryan Bacheller from BRS last weekend about this at Rap Dallas

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i believe that the rise of dinos over the last 10 -15years has something to do with the LED lights ..where there is a specific spectrum that feeds/ fuels them ...10-15 years ago when everybody was using t5s and metal halides and running ulns systems dinos were unheard off ..

I never saw Dino’s in my early (1971) high nutrient mixed gardens. Because I never went with alkalinity demanding SPS and instead went with mixed invertebrate Caribbean theme tanks, I opted to go with ornamental sponges then fell into the sponge loop with cryptic sponges.

Best I can tell, diatoms are foundational in the microbial food web.

In this review, we focus on interactions between two important groups of marine microbes, diatoms and bacteria. Diatoms are ubiquitous photosynthetic eukaryotes that are responsible for about 20% of photosynthesis on Earth (Fig. 1A). They serve as the base of the marine food web when they are consumed by higher eukaryotes, and they can also serve as food for heterotrophic bacteria. Diatoms are encased in distinctive, porous silica shells, called frustules (Fig. 1B), that cause them to sink rapidly when they die, carrying fixed organic carbon to the deep ocean. Therefore, diatoms play a major role in driving the biological pump and shaping the carbon cycle. They also influence the biogeochemical cycles of important elements such as nitrogen, silicon, and iron and thus affect other microbial communities (7). Heterotrophic bacteria are ubiquitous scavengers that utilize organic carbon produced by diatoms and other autotrophs, thereby remineralizing a large portion of organic matter back to CO2 (36). Because of their abundance and high functional diversity, marine bacteria drive the biogeochemical cycles of most biologically relevant elements (89).

Upvote 0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw Dino’s in my early (1971) high nutrient mixed gardens. Because I never went with alkalinity demanding SPS and instead went with mixed invertebrate Caribbean theme tanks, I opted to go with ornamental sponges then fell into the sponge loop with cryptic sponges.

Best I can tell, diatoms are foundational in the microbial food web.
Most definitely..

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is advanced reefing, I use cryptic sponges in a refugium to deal with DOC that is not absorbed by activated carbon or removed by protein skimmers.

“Heterotrophic bacteria are ubiquitous scavengers that utilize organic carbon produced by diatoms and other autotrophs, thereby remineralizing a large portion of organic matter back to CO2 (36). Because of their abundance and high functional diversity, marine bacteria drive the biogeochemical cycles of most biologically relevant elements (89).“

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sticky_rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sticky_rice

Ok thanks ill try setting that up at some point.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back