Algae ID

sticky_rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Was wondering what kind of algae this is and how I can get rid of it. I tried manually removing it but it comes back within a day. Tanks been set up for almost three months.

OP
OP
S

sticky_rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut lights to 6 hours for 2 weeks with blue and uv only no whites. Increase flow to affected areas. Weekly water changes with siphon out.
It’s a fluval evo with the stock light so I don’t think running blues is possible but I’ll decrease the time it’s on and for awhile and see if it helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sticky_rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more like dinos too me ..at a guess i would say its prorocentrum...but will need to see a sample under microscope for a positive ID... check out my group on facebook ...mack's reef dino support group . Download the pdf file dealing with dinos ...you will find it in the files tab .!
Dino posters Dallas  9_png.png
Ok I’ll check it out

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sticky_rice
As I see you are still following this thread, there are many different was to operate a reef tank.

However the one constant is that bacteria run the show, they are the microbial overlords of the food chain. When “harsh chemicals” target certain microbes in marine environments, other microbes are effected. Not that dissimilar to using invasive radiation and chemotherapy to target cancer in humans.

Upvote 0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sticky_rice
As I see you are still following this thread, there are many different was to operate a reef tank.

However the one constant is that bacteria run the show, they are the microbial overlords of the food chain. When “harsh chemicals” target certain microbes in marine environments, other microbes are effected. Not that dissimilar to using invasive radiation and chemotherapy to target cancer in humans.
We have had great succes using this method on 1000s of tanks on my group ..its not the sole remidy ,we also recomend dosing phyto pods and correcting trace with icp tests ..
Please feel free to check out the group
My group has almost 13000 members world wide

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had great succes using this method on 1000s of tanks on my group ..its not the sole remidy ,we also recomend dosing phyto pods and correcting trace with icp tests ..
Please feel free to check out the group
My group has almost 13000 members world wide
As an avid gardner, I feed the soil and it grows the crops.

The marine food web works in glass aquariums and on the wild reef. By adding micro inverts you seed the diversity of the microbial loop.

@sticky_rice
Opportunistic nuisance algaes like Cynobacteria & dinoflaggelets have learned survival techniques that thrive in low nutrient tanks. Consumers & competitors are required in the long run. Consider uncured diver collected rock to seed diversity of micro inverts.

Hitchhikers on gulf live rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sticky_rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sticky_rice

The marine food web works in glass aquariums and on the wild reef. By adding micro inverts you seed the diversity of the microbial loop.

@sticky_rice
Opportunistic nuisance algaes like Cynobacteria & dinoflaggelets have learned survival techniques that thrive in low nutrient tanks. Consumers & competitors are required in the long run. Consider uncured diver collected rock to seed diversity of micro inverts.

I started my tank with half live rock half dry rock but my nitrates have been at 0 for awhile so that could maybe be the issue?

Upvote 0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@sticky_rice

Yes we also advise adding good live rock to a system for this reason .

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back