Algae ID

MC Blowfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2025
Messages
403
Reaction score
564
Location
Iowa
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this was cyano, but I'm not sure. I'll suction the sand and move the sand around and it comes back. Under bluelight, it looks red. But under white, it's more brown.

Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 3
Phosphate is .03
PH is 8.3

I have two wavemakers running 24/7. I've turned down the white lights and only run blue.

My lights are on for 12 hours with a ramp up in the morning and a ramp down at night.

I do a 5 gallon weekly water change in a 20 gallon tank.

70cb63d8-6eff-41a4-a3be-aadff52f7ac9.jpg
cc8f3f7c-ad79-42b9-b92d-4dd52a8b1464.jpg
b49881e3-22ba-4970-bea7-263edae5c16c.jpg
 
How old is the tank?
 
How old is the tank?

8 months.

I did move the tank in February. We moved and I had to tear it down and set it back up. I kept everything the same. Same water, sand, and rock. The move to our new home was maybe 15 minutes.
 
Is it just in the sandbed or also on the rocks? Have you had algae issues before or just this?
 
Is it just in the sandbed or also on the rocks? Have you had algae issues before or just this?

Mainly the sand. I did see some on the wavemaker, the filter sleeve, and the glass. But not a lot. It's mainly on the sand.

The first few months, I had hair algae, and bubble algae. But that's been gone since December.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new