Algae ID

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a little over a month ago and when I re-setup my tank one of my rocks is upside down from how it had been for the last year or so. This really short and really wiry deep red algae has started growing in the cracks. It is slow growing and I am not too worried about it right now but wanted to make this thread to see if I need to be. My Kole and other CUC members eat on it.

I know these pics are not focused on the algae but it is all I have at present and it gives you the idea.

0KgOL2O.jpg

g5RZBZe.jpg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting thing about this algae is that I have seen 3 different acros and a rainbow monti kill it and then encrust where it was. It turns bright pink after they zap it and then its gone. Didnt expect that when I made this thread.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see another picture of the algae only. That's really werid. Makes sense in a way though.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ideal way to handle this algae is to make a single test rock comply as algae free and not the whole tank. your grazers like it and its not ugly, its in balance as it should be. it is an invasive variant its your grazers keeping it in check, as they should. good balance.

you need to have the ability to command the tank free of it though, we've covered prob 10+ tanks with before and after pics of this algae in the peroxide threads and regular peroxide doesn't work well on it, it likes 35% which is more work to come by and signifies strong invasion potential as 3% w beat most invaders.

If you find that no matter what you do you cant keep 1 single rock totally free of it, then start large scale tank work and switch tangs to alts

the way I would beat it is w 3% first, use metal tool to scrape it out of all corners first, all external work outside the tank so things can rinse clear, only physical actions like a dentist would use on plaque. apply 3% to all scraped surfaces as clean up, rinse, install rock see if it grows back. if the test rock grows back, take a meaner action and document for us what it takes to consistently keep 1 rock free of it.

If one rock worked over just once stays free n clear for months, then sit back and enjoy the natural feed balance, rather rare...low potential invasion is revealed in that kind of test rock response.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a trip. I've never seen or heard of coral stinging algae.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks

This sucks because just my blues are on but I wanted to take the pics in case when the whites turn on the event is over.

The hot pink is a small tuft of this algae that has been stung by a monti that is about to grow over it. There is a filament extending from the coral onto the algae and i believe this is the mechanism for killing the algae. When the algae has been stung, it turns pink before it goes away.
xvyX8Ye.png
PrCH84v.jpg
g9qY8U2.png

Here is a shot of a tuft of this algae that has not been stung so you can see it is not hot pink. Pic is just blue but it's the same as one of the above pics. I will try and get some daylight shots of this later.
wY9Tiu3.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back