algae ID

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this hair algae? I've been assuming it was but people keep mentioning scrubbing hair algae off with a toothbrush. This is not slimy, and it laughs at my toothbrush. I can rip some off but its like tearing at grass, I'm really just ripping some off and essentially trimming it. (Yes, there is also some grape caulerpa in there as well)

IMG_5425.jpg IMG_5424.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be? But regardless the fix is the same. Addressing the nutrient issue is the most important step, make sure you have a good skimmer etc... Do you have a clean up crew? Tangs, snails, hermit crabs? If you are at your wit's end, try algaefix, it works wonders, but it's not a long term solution as it will just get rid of the east stuff. But it can get you out of a tough spot.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has only been running two months. The pictures posted were taken over the course of the last four weeks. I scrubbed with a tooth brush, kept cleaning the filter material and changing 20 to 30% of the water weekly. I blew the rockwork off with a baster every day, sometimes several times a day. I also added a emerald crab, several snails and reef hermits. I eventually added a diamond goby to clean the sand and rock too. I ordered fluconzole but decided not to use it. I'm thinking my problem was just from my system being so new. I was advised to hold off on treating and just keep doing as I was for a while to see if I could get the algae under control. It seemed to work for me.
Screenshot_20171202-223231.png
Screenshot_20171202-222527.png
Screenshot_20171202-222431.png

OP
OP
turbo2oh

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is several years old. Like I was saying a toothbrush doesn’t affect it. It’s really rooted in there.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried large grazing snails, like Mexican turbo snails? They work great for me. Also, there are quite a few people who've had success with a product called Vibrant. There is a large thread here somewhere about it, just use the search function to find. Like most additives, some hate them, some have no problem with them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back