GSP Brown Algae

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP has some brown algae on it, I heard that you can just clean it with a toothbrush. Is there any other/better way to do it, or is using a toothbrush a good option?

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is insanely hardy even if it closes up for a bit it’ll probably be fine. When I first started my tank and I got GSP I also had some algae on it. I originally tried to turkey baster blow it off but some remained. I used a basic extra soft toothbrush to scrub it and it was completely fine in a few days. The GSP might also still open just fine with some algae on it like it does for me if you can’t get it all off but have some CUC who will pick at it. So you could try a turkey baster but the brush should be fine. I’ve used soft brand new makeup brushes on soft corals too when my tank was younger.

OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is insanely hardy even if it closes up for a bit it’ll probably be fine. When I first started my tank and I got GSP I also had some algae on it. I originally tried to turkey baster blow it off but some remained. I used a basic extra soft toothbrush to scrub it and it was completely fine in a few days. The GSP might also still open just fine with some algae on it like it does for me if you can’t get it all off but have some CUC who will pick at it. So you could try a turkey baster but the brush should be fine. I’ve used soft brand new makeup brushes on soft corals too when my tank was younger.
Thanks a lot! I got one of my hermit crabs to eat some of the algae off, but some of the polyps still won’t open so I’ll probably use a tooth brush.

OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae normally doesn't grow on living corals. Can you post a pic?
The algae's kind of hard to see in the photo, but you can see that some of the polyps aren't opening

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 14

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree to get better flow on the coral. Would also suggest to check your parameters, the gsp is not happy and receding enough for algae to start growing on it.

OP
OP
B

BudgetR33f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree to get better flow on the coral. Would also suggest to check your parameters, the gsp is not happy and receding enough for algae to start growing on it.
Ok my parameters seem fine, I guess I’ll try cleaning the algae off and giving it more flow. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back