OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 3 years old at this current house. Measured my phosphate last night and got .04ppm on a Hanna checker. Flow should be good. I have two mp40s and two wavs on the back glass plus the return. I've had the red cyano that was easy to take care of. But for some reason this kind just won't go away

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a mix of everything but mostly hair alge on tbe sand bed. Cyano feeds off dead hair algae fwiw. It covers it and kills it. Dinos love organics ime. I got rid of mine by dosing silicates for a few weeks to get diamtoms to grow. I also Turkey basted my rocks and moved rocks around only to find a garbadge dump of dirt and poo rotting away. I suspect that caused the dinos. Good luck.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been doing a little bit of research on this crap.... seems like it is Lyngbya Cyano. was looking at pictures and it is exactly what I have in my tank. Next step, kill it

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats actually what im looking at right now. trying to decide if I want to risk buying snails and not QTing them. I just got over a 90 day fallow and lost 11 fish do to ich or velvet. (thinking velvet since it happen pretty quick)
I believe that reefcleaners does not allow fish in their system so that there is very little risk if ordering from them. All else I would quarantine. In fact, after reading about what you went through, you might want to quarantine from anywhere. Good luck either way.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that reefcleaners does not allow fish in their system so that there is very little risk if ordering from them. All else I would quarantine. In fact, after reading about what you went through, you might want to quarantine from anywhere. Good luck either way.

Thank you, think im going to buy from them and just qt it all in a 30 gallon. Ill just keep sucking it out until they are ready to go in.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back