I think it’s cyano but I’m not sure

24D5F792-A82F-43DF-8109-CC78CA26D7B4.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it appear brown or red? Im guessing either spirulina or cyano. Could you list your nitrate+phosphate ppm?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like could be either dinoflagellates or cyanobacteria. I am leaning towards the former. If have a cheap $10 microscope will be able to ID more assuredly. Testing your, phosphates and nitrates would also help point towards a corrective action. If get a positive ID there are threads on individual plans of action.

kent78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,

Can someone help ID this algae please?
I think it’s cyano but I’m not sure

24D5F792-A82F-43DF-8109-CC78CA26D7B4.jpeg
dino for sure!!! black it out completely for 3 days, boost up po4 and no3 and dosing bt7... once you see any hair algae grow out anywhere in the tank, you are on the way to win to battle! Good luck!!!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos don't form matts like that
Dinoflagellates species that plague our reef tanks primarily take 2 primary forms. Benthic and water column inhabiting. The benthic forms can appear very similar to cyano infestations.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates species that plague our reef tanks primarily take 2 primary forms. Benthic and water column inhabiting. The benthic forms can appear very similar to cyano infestations.

True they can be visible on rocks and sand, but thick opaque mats are not something they form. You can always see the sand underneath the dinos (i.e. the dinos are more of a film rather than a mat)

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s Dino’s as it simply blows away like cyano when I clean glass

It is brown

Phosphate is 0.05
Nitrate is 15

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same spot in tank when lights are out

I hope it’s not Dino’s.. help lol

Attachments

• 0759F1D9-B87A-475E-A94C-93A0264E4F07.jpeg
    0759F1D9-B87A-475E-A94C-93A0264E4F07.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 44

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off in big sheets? If so it is cyano but because it stays there with lights off it could just be diatoms if it doesn't blow off in big sheets just smaller particles. But probably cyano as it has bubbles on it.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what’s happened is - I dosed a bit of nopox to get my nitrate down but I reckon phosphate got a little low and that’s what has caused the bloom. Will swap my carbon and see if that helps and if not will add some nitraphos

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off in big sheets? If so it is cyano but because it stays there with lights off it could just be diatoms if it doesn't blow off in big sheets just smaller particles. But probably cyano as it has bubbles on it.
Yes mate, almost disappears which, from my experience, is cyano

I have red slime remover but it’s pants, can’t seem to get chemipure in uk

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
heavy case of cyano.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heavy case of cyano.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Thanks for your reply mate

100% agree with your thoughts
When I dosed nopox my skimmer went mad constantly over flowing so that is what must have caused the cyano to grow..

Actions:

I have reduced white light
Will purchase bacteria tomorrow

Why chemipure elite? Only asking as surer that will reduce phosphates too low? Would I not be better to just reduce nitrates?

I currently have 11 nassarius snails, 2 cerith snails, 2 ninja star turbos, 2 dwarf blue leg hermits. Tank size 350L

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos don't form matts like that
Yes they can. The strings with bubbles. The color I bet is green under whites. Need a microscope. The pic with the lights out shows the mat has thinned out. Dinos free in the water column. Then accumulate in mats when lights are on.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True they can be visible on rocks and sand, but thick opaque mats are not something they form. You can always see the sand underneath the dinos (i.e. the dinos are more of a film rather than a mat)

Sounds like you're thinking of specific dinos like LCA which does look as you describe. Prorocentrum can look very similar to this.

If it's not responding to manual removal and getting your PO4/NO3 in balance, I would gain access to a microscope and post pictures.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're thinking of specific dinos like LCA which does look as you describe. Prorocentrum can look very similar to this.

If it's not responding to manual removal and getting your PO4/NO3 in balance, I would gain access to a microscope and post pictures.
I just looked back. Dinos. I've had them like that. The long snotty strings full of bubbles that disapate at night but magically reform during the day. Until you see different with your microscope I would treat it like dinos. Water chemistry is the ultimate fix. That along with uv at night when the dinos aren't making snot on your sand will help. It's all a guess everyone is making. My guess is dinos.

OP
OP
R

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The combination of manual removal, cleaning out skimmer again, changing carbon, adding denitrate and reducing whites has helped enormously. There is only minimal cyano remaining and is depleting continually

Cheers everyone, glad it was not Dino’s..

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back