Algae ID

Cfowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230227_160322.jpg
20230305_133635.jpg

Can anyone help me ID this stuff? It's only growing on the tops of the highest rocks. I removed it and it came back in 7-10 days. Nitrates and Phosphates are both at 0 and I feed 3 times a day so I'm assuming whatever this is, is probably just consuming it? I have been adding copepods and phytoplankton for a couple months with zero improvement. Using socks and added a skimmer 3 weeks ago for filtration, no refugium yet. Tank is 1 year old. I'm getting set up to dose h202 in an effort to get rid of uronema (DNA tested positive twice but no outbreak in fish). Whatever this is seemed to thrive when I was dosing Metronidazole but hasn't gone away now that I'm not dosing anymore. Any help appreciated.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off: nitrates & phosphates at zero is BAD.

Why did you post a picture of Cotton Candy macroalgae to be identified then talk about Uronema treated with Metronydazole. What does getting set up to dose peroxide involve and what are we treating now.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda leaning towards a bacterial colony. it’s consuming your nutrients faster than you can put them in makes me think it’s bacterial.

OP
OP
C

Cfowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off: nitrates & phosphates at zero is BAD.

Why did you post a picture of Cotton Candy macroalgae to be identified then talk about Uronema treated with Metronydazole. What does getting set up to dose peroxide involve and what are we treating now.
I'm sorry if it was hard for you to understand.
The fact that this stuff got worse while treating with Metronidazole seems important to me.
Some people have e seen algae increase with peroxide dosing which is why I haven't started it yet.
Also, it isn't cotton candy, the microscope picture looks nothing like cotton candy under the microscope which is why I'm here trying to see if anyone can identify it so I can move forward with treating.

OP
OP
C

Cfowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda leaning towards a bacterial colony. it’s consuming your nutrients faster than you can put them in makes me think it’s bacterial.
I also assumed this was consuming my nutrients because that's the only thing that makes sense. I only recently added a skimmer because I had people telling me that socks wasn't enough filtration even though I only have 3 small fish and a CUC at this point. But ultimately this stuff was there before the skimmer and is still there a month after adding the skimmer. Nutrients haven't changed.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Some people have seen algae increase with peroxide dosing which is why I haven't started it yet.”

REALLY, I would like to see that algae.

OP
OP
C

Cfowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Some people have seen algae increase with peroxide dosing which is why I haven't started it yet.”

REALLY, I would like to see that algae.
Is there a reason you're being so sassy with me?
Yes, I've been talking with "experts" on humblefish for months and they did see increases in algae at some points during their peroxide dosing.
I have spent countless hours researching how to move forward and I would appreciate it you weren't so snotty toward me. It isn't necessarily or helpful.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230227_160322.jpg
20230305_133635.jpg

Can anyone help me ID this stuff? It's only growing on the tops of the highest rocks. I removed it and it came back in 7-10 days. Nitrates and Phosphates are both at 0 and I feed 3 times a day so I'm assuming whatever this is, is probably just consuming it? I have been adding copepods and phytoplankton for a couple months with zero improvement. Using socks and added a skimmer 3 weeks ago for filtration, no refugium yet. Tank is 1 year old. I'm getting set up to dose h202 in an effort to get rid of uronema (DNA tested positive twice but no outbreak in fish). Whatever this is seemed to thrive when I was dosing Metronidazole but hasn't gone away now that I'm not dosing anymore. Any help appreciated.
Looks like cotton candy algae to me also.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if it was hard for you to understand.
The fact that this stuff got worse while treating with Metronidazole seems important to me.
Some people have e seen algae increase with peroxide dosing which is why I haven't started it yet.
Also, it isn't cotton candy, the microscope picture looks nothing like cotton candy under the microscope which is why I'm here trying to see if anyone can identify it so I can move forward with treating.
What?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish knows much about fish disease. Not sure about his knowledge of seaweed.

@Cfowler
Just because I question your point on peroxide fertilizing algae I am being disrespectful / snotty. Really?

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you're being so sassy with me?
Yes, I've been talking with "experts" on humblefish for months and they did see increases in algae at some points during their peroxide dosing.
I have spent countless hours researching how to move forward and I would appreciate it you weren't so snotty toward me. It isn't necessarily or helpful.
If the point of your thread is to get rid of fuzzy pink algae, then pull it out and use peroxide on a toothbrush and brush it‘s holdfast. Or remove the offending rock and soak in peroxide.

If the point of your thread is to name the algae, you may have difficulty on a reef hobby forum.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 164 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back