Algae identification and help

NSxCobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Can someone help me identify this, I presume algae, in my tank and help me figure out how to get rid of it?

Tanks a Red Sea Reefer 350 G2+ with a Red Sea protein skimmer, reef mat, a refrugium, and currently dosing the NosX algae control.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

IMG_3322.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's looks like some seriously fluffy hair algae. At that size, manual removal is gonna be a huge help. Get a cleanup crew in place to help once it's pared down to manageable size. I strongly recommend against algaecide products, there are safer and more natural ways to handle.

OP
OP
N

NSxCobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's looks like some seriously fluffy hair algae. At that size, manual removal is gonna be a huge help. Get a cleanup crew in place to help once it's pared down to manageable size. I strongly recommend against algaecide products, there are safer and more natural ways to handle.
Thanks for the reply! I do have a cleanup crew of emerald crabs (3), turbo snails (6), long spine urchin (1), bumble bee snails (6), and margarita snails (12). Is there anything else I can add once I manually remove as much of this as possible?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a reefer 350. I'd recommend a lot more snails - I have easily hundreds of dwarf cerith, 20-30 cerith, 10-20 astreas. Very affordable to order from @reefcleaners in bulk. Trochus are also great from what I hear, but they are always out of stock. Bumblebee snails won't eat algae, and in fact they can kill other smaller snails.

Also, you'll want to look into nutrient export to restrict algae growth. an algae turf scrubber can help. You can also look into reducing lighting intensity, if your corals won't suffer. If you like yellow tangs, one of those will help a lot as well. Mine never stops grazing.

Side note, and I always preach this - keep an eye on those emerald crabs, I caught mine eating a live micromussa LPS and banished them to the refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back