Algae in Display Vs Refugium

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up a Refugium to grow Algae in my reef tank but I’m not planning to grow Macro Algae. Instead I have been growing hair algae and whatever wants to grow in there naturally. My question is this...I have always had some hair algae in the display. I want it to grow in the refugium instead of the display and it has began to do that tremendously. If I want to maximize the algae growth in the refugium do you think should i light the refugium during the same hours as the DT...I feel as if I light them together at the same time most of the algae will grow in the refugium instead of the display because the lighting is better focused to do so in the refugium....whereas if I light them on reverse cycle it will grow all day long but just wherever the light is being supplied to
It. Does this make sense? I hope someone can have some input on this topic..Thanks for the help in advance
62932c86e6d4854ede2df2537f4dc0ea.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea behind the reverse schedule is to decrease night time pH drop by having active photosynthesis going on. For your purpose of trying to have your refugium algae outcompete the DT algae I would light the refugium 24/7. Let's see what the rest of the guys think. #reefsquad

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in the answer to this, too. Seems like a question that probably has a "right" answer, and not a split of opinion, but then you never know {wink}...

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with @saltyhog and run the fuge lights 24/7.

Since you are doing this for nutrient control it’s not an issue.

I also don’t think hair algae affects ph like macro algae’s so I don’t think you’re missing out on any benefit there.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also don’t think hair algae affects ph like macro algae’s so I don’t think you’re missing out on any benefit there.

It photosynthesizes in the same way as macro. So running a reverse lighting schedule may help PH. Just as with macro, it would need to be harvested periodically, much like a ATS to do any good. At some point it could crash and release it's nutrients back in the water if not harvested.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point Don. If you expect any algae to achieve nutrient export you have to harvest it. I hadn't thought about it but you're also right about the potential to crash. Another good reason to harvest it and not let it outgrow it's nutrient/light supplies.

OP
OP
vipete1985

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It photosynthesizes in the same way as macro. So running a reverse lighting schedule may help PH. Just as with macro, it would need to be harvested periodically, much like a ATS to do any good. At some point it could crash and release it's nutrients back in the water if not harvested.

One good thing about my tank is it gets so much natural air flow from being in a good area that my PH is naturally always between 8.2-8.3 so the reverse cycle is not necessary...the main thing I’m trying to accomplish is for the algae to grow in the fuge rather than the DT....The harvesting aspect is a really good point and I will make sure I harvest every few weeks...The 24 hour light cycle strips my tank of nutrients to effectively....I have harvested macro algae like chaetomorpha and caluerpa before and it never stripped nutrients as effectively like hair algae and natural algae does it.

OP
OP
vipete1985

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I pretty sure all forms of algae consume carbon dioxide and release oxygen therefore having a buffering effect on ph

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the way of harvesting you could put a snail or two in there but balance it to where they can’t keep up completely so it’ll grow but yet they’ll export some of it too.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo you need a"good"light so the algae wants to grow there not the dt. Also even the algae needs to rest . I run my ref lights 16 on 8 off.

The 16/8 is a horticulture practice.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back