Algae on glass always!?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can’t get water parameters right now at work but last time everything was stable. Tanks fully cycled, bioload established, and yet I’m having algae on the glass everyday.

I have a 37 Gallon Tall.
Fish:
2 Clowns
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Bicolor Blenny

Inverts:
4 Turbos
2 Astraea Snails
8 Hermits Red/Blue Legs
1 Halloween Hermit
1 Pistol Shrimp

Also got 3 rock nems. I feed once or twice a day depending on work and only what my tank can consume. I got phosphate remover in the filter and a protein skimmer that’s rated for a 60 gallon.

However I always have algae on the glass I run 8-12 hours of lights, and I can’t understand why I’m having my full front glass covered in algae daily. I understand algae is expected but my other tanks have no where near this problem. I’m sorry I can’t get water parameters atm but does anyone have any ideas?
Is this tank by chance at or near a window?
Also, what is your nitrate and phosphate level?3
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get water parameters right now at work but last time everything was stable. Tanks fully cycled, bioload established, and yet I’m having algae on the glass everyday.

I have a 37 Gallon Tall.
Fish:
2 Clowns
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Bicolor Blenny

Inverts:
4 Turbos
2 Astraea Snails
8 Hermits Red/Blue Legs
1 Halloween Hermit
1 Pistol Shrimp

Also got 3 rock nems. I feed once or twice a day depending on work and only what my tank can consume. I got phosphate remover in the filter and a protein skimmer that’s rated for a 60 gallon.

However I always have algae on the glass I run 8-12 hours of lights, and I can’t understand why I’m having my full front glass covered in algae daily. I understand algae is expected but my other tanks have no where near this problem. I’m sorry I can’t get water parameters atm but does anyone have any ideas?
There's something wrong if you don't need to clean your glass every few days. It's ok.

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tank by chance at or near a window?
Also, what is your nitrate and phosphate level?3
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Rodi water only. Nitrate was around 5ppm Friday haven’t tested yet today made this post from my desk at work, stopped home at lunch and saw glass and got frustrated. Phosphate untested as well atm. With my skimmer and phosphate remover I recently skipped it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rodi water only. Nitrate was around 5ppm Friday haven’t tested yet today made this post from my desk at work, stopped home at lunch and saw glass and got frustrated. Phosphate untested as well atm. With my skimmer and phosphate remover I recently skipped it.
Tank at or near a window?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot something. I have a UV filter put it in this morning. Will see

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone mentioned it - good magnet cleaner....

Sounds like a joke, i know, but forget those "2$ magnet glass cleaners", i tried 3 different magnets, from small and cheap, to large, and still fairly cheap....

Run 3 streaks, each with different magnet, one next to another..... The better the magnet, the longer glass remains clean....

Sadly, best of them are sooooo expensive, so, i clean glass everyday, until i force myself to give serious money for some quality magnet......

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone mentioned it - good magnet cleaner....

Sounds like a joke, i know, but forget those "2$ magnet glass cleaners", i tried 3 different magnets, from small and cheap, to large, and still fairly cheap....

Run 3 streaks, each with different magnet, one next to another..... The better the magnet, the longer glass remains clean....

Sadly, best of them are sooooo expensive, so, i clean glass everyday, until i force myself to give serious money for some quality magnet......
I just spent $100 on Magfloat :/

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scrape my glass every 2-3 days if I want my tank looking pristine. I let the cleanup crew (fish, hermits, & snails) go after the scrapings. If I have to let it go longer, I try to suck up as much as I can during a water change. For me it’s always just part of reefing and I don’t worry about it as long as my corals are healthy and growing. I’ve run low nutrient tanks and have had multiple battles with dino, so I’ll gladly scrape the glass.

I’ve yet to find a magnet that cleans as well as a quality scraper and algae pad. I have to net my clowns to use a pad as they are quite ferocious if my hands hit the water at times drawing blood from the webbing between my fingers.

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large acrylic tank and use a mighty magnet. Expensive, but worth it.
My glass tanks just use a standard Mag float and for my pico I have this orange one that I have found works best. Nice strong magnet.

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 100$ i want not only to clean my tank, i want to sing to me ;)
I bought 3 because I’m an idiot and made a tank out of a Topfin 37 because I got it for $20 and had glass cut since no canopy fits it and the Topfin canopy meant for the 37 doesn’t fit it, so it’s basically a whole assembly process to even enter the tank. Im praying it sings lullaby when I’m trying to drown out the skimmer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both 0 phosphates and 5 ppm nitrates (working on raising them). I still have to clean my glass twice a day. I really don’t know what causes it I just gave up the fight.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 100$, i will dive into tank and scrub everything with a small toothbrush...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back