Algae on glass

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what kind of algae this is but it's on the glass and won't come off unless I scrape it with a blade. Any ideas on how to prevent it or if it's just a normal part of the tank life.

IMG_20180403_134508637_HDR.jpg IMG_20180403_134527965_HDR.jpg

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let it grow before it's like that? Mine does that if I let it go a week without cleaning. It's pretty common to have to clean it once every 2 or 3 days

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let it grow before it's like that? Mine does that if I let it go a week without cleaning. It's pretty common to have to clean it once every 2 or 3 days

I mean i use a mag float(no scraper) twice a week, but the stuff you're seeing needs to be scraped and I just recently scraped for the first time in six months.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks purple in the pic.....it's dark green in person?!?

(Coraline does come in lots of colors, but dark green is an unusual one. Light green is only slightly common. Purples and pinks, like you mentioned, are definitely the main ones you'll see around.)

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks purple in the pic.....it's dark green in person?!?

(Coraline does come in lots of colors, but dark green is an unusual one. Light green is only slightly common. Purples and pinks, like you mentioned, are definitely the main ones you'll see around.)

You're right it does look purple in the picture, i think that's because of the LEDs but it's definitely a medium to dark green. The picture was taken in a spot that had a higher concentration, it wasn't this bad on all of the glass.

But I also get those little strands coming with the algae. You can see it best in the first image. I think the magfloat gets most the strands off that's why there isn't much of that.

Ron Jenks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the crusty green along with the purple...mostly on the back wall with tiny spots on the glass. The majority though is the purple stuff. Every week or so I scrape down the front and sides but leave it alone on the back.
IMG_20180323_193522535.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW how much light is on this tank? How long are the lights on? What are NO3 and PO4 levels like? What do you feed the tank and how often?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, are the srands "crispy" like the coraline algae, or is it another "soft algae" (like maybe hair algae or something like that) growing on/with the coraline? Can you turn off the flow, turn off the blue lights and turn on the whites and get a closeup of the strands?

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW how much light is on this tank? How long are the lights on? What are NO3 and PO4 levels like? What do you feed the tank and how often?

I use a chinese black box for a 40B. Set to 100% blue channel and 25% white channel. This is from 8am-7pm. My Nitrate and Nitrites are both 0. I feed Mysis mixed with Ocean Nutrition flakes and i manually feed some Hikari pellets for my clown. I do this once a day and it's just enough that there aren't any leftovers. My lawnmower blenny makes sure of that too haha.

BTW, are the srands "crispy" like the coraline algae, or is it another "soft algae" (like maybe hair algae or something like that) growing on/with the coraline? Can you turn off the flow, turn off the blue lights and turn on the whites and get a closeup of the strands?

It's more crispy, it keeps its form in the current. But I have no purple coraline in my tank except for snail shells. Had to use my hand to help focus the image. Also I have this weird algae on my rocks as seen on the last image, it's got this transparent fuzz on it.
IMG_20180405_114017662.jpg IMG_20180405_113937262.jpg IMG_20180405_112711649.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a microscope? I'd love to see scope pics all of this.

A toy scope will work as a minimum....many of us on here have the one Amscope markets for <$20.

You don't have to spend more than $50 to get a much nicer one if you think you want to be more serious about it.....but <$20 is an easy start. (Other makers also market the same toy scope, so shopping around may be worth it.)

Check out Selecting a microscope for lots of details.... :)

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a microscope? I'd love to see scope pics all of this.

A toy scope will work as a minimum....many of us on here have the one Amscope markets for <$20.

You don't have to spend more than $50 to get a much nicer one if you think you want to be more serious about it.....but <$20 is an easy start. (Other makers also market the same toy scope, so shopping around may be worth it.)

Check out Selecting a microscope for lots of details.... :)

I'm right across the street from a community college, i'll talk to them about letting me use theirs which would be awesome. Would I just scrape some off and bring it with me and just put it on platter?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, yeah....but gathering samples can be somewhat of an art form, so be patient, and have all your tools and vessels ready to go before you get your hands in the tank.. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back