glass algae comes back rapidly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anything above 0.03ppm PO4 is not going to be limiting to phytoplankton. Are you implying OP should keep his phosphates below 0.03ppm?

Phosphates of 0.10ppm will grow algae just as well as phosphates at 1.00ppm. A surplus is a surplus, and having more won’t make anything grow faster if there’s something else that’s limiting (space, trace elements, herbivores etc).

I highly doubt phosphates are the issue.
No- suggesting he check all sources to assure they are not contributors especially if false readings. Im telling him to verify while you are suggesting not to worry about it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No- suggesting he check all sources to assure they are not contributors especially if false readings. Im telling him to verify while you are suggesting not to worry about it.
He already tested his phosphates at 0.01-0.03ppm. As I said, you can still grow algae and phyto with low residual nutrients. There are forms of phosphorous and nitrogen that we cannot test for that the algae will always have access to. It’s not about controlling nutrients to limit algae, there are much better and more effective ways.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you point your lighting away from the front glass?

Best thing I've done for my side and front glass maintenance is reduce the lighting hitting it. I don't go full side to side so the sides don't get as much light and I tilt my lighting inward so the front glass doesn't get hit as much.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates of 0.10ppm will grow algae just as well as phosphates at 1.00ppm. A surplus is a surplus, and having more won’t make anything grow faster if there’s something else that’s limiting (space, trace elements, herbivores etc).

I highly doubt phosphates are the issue.
In my tank there is a noticeable increase of green algae on the glass if PO4 rises from 0.03 to 0.12ppm, so in my case at least Phosphate is the limiting factor :)

In other tanks there could be other factors that limit growth of course.

OP
OP
MIke Wood

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have Phosphate content in your water (something to test)
How many hours of light does your tank receive?
Is tank at or near a window?

Can you post a pic or two of the tank?
Po4 is .01- .03. Lights are hybrid led/t5. Leds run for 10 hours. T5s on for 6 hours during that 10 hour photo period. Tank is about 15 feet across from a window.
VideoCapture_20231201-095752.jpg

OP
OP
MIke Wood

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you point your lighting away from the front glass?

Best thing I've done for my side and front glass maintenance is reduce the lighting hitting it. I don't go full side to side so the sides don't get as much light and I tilt my lighting inward so the front glass doesn't get hit as much.
It's on all viewing panes.

OP
OP
MIke Wood

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not the issue. We all should have some phosphorus and phosphate in our water.

I think having phytoplankton in the water is a very good sign. It sounds like a healthy tank.

The UV sterilizer should work in reducing the population of free swimming algae. Have you noticed any improvement after adding the UV?

If not, could the sterilizer be undersized, too fast, or too slow?
Uv is oversized. Maybe the flow is too fast through it?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv is oversized. Maybe the flow is too fast through it?
If the flow is too fast, the algae will glide right through the sterilizer without getting sterilized.

A UV needs to strike the balance between quick flow to sterilize as much algae as possible, but slow enough to allow the algae to actually become sterilized.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are already super low, too low IMO. Saying you should worry about phosphates is total nonsense.

People pay money for phyto to dump in their tank..if that’s what this is you’re getting it free! Healthy tanks require frequent glass cleaning - I wouldn’t worry about this. It’s just annoying cleaning the glass. My tank is exactly the same way btw, everything doing great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back