Reddish brown film on glass

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my alk pump malfunctioned about a month ago and mag and calcium crashed, I have since got all my parameters in check. My current issue is that for the last cpl weeks or so I'm having to scrape my glass several times a day. It's a thick reddish brownish perhaps algae? Last night I added some nitrifying bacteria to possibly help. Doing my regular weekly water changes. Livestock appears fine but something is out of whack. Appears to be just on the glass. Any suggestions

image000000(26).jpg image000002(1).jpg Screenshot_20240407_151926.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers are fine. Looks like normal glass film algae. Are you dosing phytoplankton or similar? Could just be a small bloom that developed after you rebooted your tank. Will probably decrease in the coming weeks. Run carbon.

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers are fine. Looks like normal glass film algae. Are you dosing phytoplankton or similar? Could just be a small bloom that developed after you rebooted your tank. Will probably decrease in the coming weeks. Run carbon.
Thanks I'm not all that concerned. It seems normal, just that after i scrape it, seems its back less than an hour later. Looking at the filter sock and skimmer, looks like algae. Maybe its a bloom because it's getting more indirect sunlight from a window.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'm not all that concerned. It seems normal, just that after i scrape it, seems its back less than an hour later. Looking at the filter sock and skimmer, looks like algae. Maybe its a bloom because it's getting more indirect sunlight from a window.
Oh of course a window could cause that. Did you change your tank lights?

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh of course a window could cause that. Did you change your tank lights?
I enabled acclimation of the original setting at 80% over a month after rebooting the alk dump. This was in an effort to save a trachy and some sps i had in there. Trachy got burned and didn't make it, sps did, and my rbta split. Just been getting more natural sunlight as season changes.

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enabled acclimation of the original setting at 80% over a month after rebooting the alk dump. This was in an effort to save a trachy and some sps i had in there. Trachy got burned and didn't make it, sps did, and my rbta split. Just been getting more natural sunlight as season changes.
Ill just keep an eye on it and maybe add some pods. Livestock is fine which is the important thing. I replaced trachy yesterday which appears fine so I'll go with that. My add and paranoi from the alk dump just gives me anxiety when I have changes and I don't know why.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a combination of more natural light and your light system coming back online to full power. I think it will go away eventually but I'd get a shade for the window.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill just keep an eye on it and maybe add some pods. Livestock is fine which is the important thing. I replaced trachy yesterday which appears fine so I'll go with that. My add and paranoi from the alk dump just gives me anxiety when I have changes and I don't know why.
Twice now in the past few months my alk dosing line has blown off its dosing connector leading to the tank.

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice now in the past few months my alk dosing line has blown off its dosing connector leading to the tank.
My pump turned on and ran until the next day emptying the rest of the bottle into the tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump turned on and ran until the next day emptying the rest of the bottle into the tank
Yikes, mine just sprayed everywhere in the cabinet. I keep getting that crusty white carbonate build up around the nozzle.

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never found out the root cause why it malfunctioned. I have to trust that it won't happen again. Yeah it was bad. I woke up with white coating over everything. Alk and calcium precipitated out all over everything. My mag had bottomed out as i had stopped testing for it and dosing it.

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a wifi outlet i bought off Amazon where maybe an actual timer would actual work better

OP
OP
Shawnman

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-193917_Smart Life.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-193917_Smart Life.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 10

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back